Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I access Hotmail?

(8 Posts)
cupofteaplease Mon 08-Oct-12 18:06:01

Please help!

I keep tryingo to go to hotmail.com, but it keeps taking me to 'AVG Oops page not found'. Infuriating! Any advice?

cupofteaplease Mon 08-Oct-12 18:12:11

Shamless bump...

NetworkGuy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:35:31

AVG incudes some 'web link check' option.

As a workaround, try turning it off and then visit Hotmail, to check your e-mail.

If it continues to be blocked after you re-enable the web check thing, then Grisoft.com (authors of AVG) might be the best people to help smile

cupofteaplease Mon 08-Oct-12 20:00:24

Hiya, I had to pop out hence the long gap in replying... Hoe do I turn off the 'web link check' options that you suggested?

NetworkGuy Wed 10-Oct-12 13:12:41

Sorry - will have to get up in the attic (I hid my computer gear away before I went into hospital and only left a couple of older iMacs out, which don't have AVG on them, and subsequently bought some newer iMacs on Ebay).

From memory, you'd get the main screen of AVG by right-clicking the icon in the system tray, and then it would be one of the settings off a menu to decide which options are enabled... Will get ladder and dig out one of the Windows PCs/laptops later.

NetworkGuy Mon 15-Oct-12 23:45:15

Have installed 2012 free version of AVG today, and to disable web surf shield, you'd need to use the Options menu, choosing 'Advanced Settings'

Then on the left side you'll see 'Web Browsing protection' and a 'plus' sign (+)

If you click on the + sign, and then highlight LinkScanner Surf-Shield, you'll see the right hand section includes two tick boxes.

Untick the top one to prevent surf-shield and then try Hotmail again.

Remember to tick the box again later on, but if AVG really is blocking Hotmail, I'd say there's something wrong...

Sorry for the delay, and hope the above info helps.

scurryfunge Mon 15-Oct-12 23:47:24

There seems to have been a problem with hotmail today.

NetworkGuy Tue 16-Oct-12 13:03:46

unfortunately, my Monday posts were a whole week after the last from OP (just didn't make find time last week to get into attic), but thanks for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now