Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone explain Google Drive to me?

(8 Posts)
Mintyy Mon 08-Oct-12 16:27:19

Thank you!

Naoko Mon 08-Oct-12 16:34:42

What do you want to know about it? Generally speaking, it's a 'cloud storage' service, which means that all the files you store on there are on a server somewhere that's owned by Google, and you can access them from anywhere in the world (that has internet access). The advantage of this is that they're safe if something bad happens to your home computer and you can't get at the files on it (so it's a good backup facility), and it's useful if you often need to use the same document in different places. For example, I use a similar cloud storage, Dropbox, for my uni work - if I write something in the uni library on my laptop, and save it to Dropbox, when I go home and use my main desktop PC, I can access the same file and edit it without faffing around with a memory stick or emailing it to myself.

It's also good if you need different people to have access to the same master document to make changes and collaborate; I don't know how Google Drive specifically does this but most of these services have a way to invite certain people to access a specific file (while the rest of your documents remain private) and either only read or edit if you want them to.

Does that help? If you need more specifics I think you need to ask more specific questions....

Mintyy Mon 08-Oct-12 16:42:48

Thank you, that is very clear and helpful. So, if I want my boss to send me some work spreadsheets which he has created on his pc at home, and for me to be able to access and amend them from my pc at home, then does he email them to Google Drive and invite me to be able to share them? And if he wants to look at them or amend them in future then can he only do so on Google Drive or can he still do it in "his documents" on his pc and the Google Drive version will automatically update?

Cherrypieplum Mon 08-Oct-12 16:51:21

If created in google drive he can share them with you a d you could work in them at the same time.

Cherrypieplum Mon 08-Oct-12 16:52:46

You don't need to email between you just share one doc. If you were to save it elsewhere then amend you'd have to then share that document.

Naoko Mon 08-Oct-12 17:00:43

If your boss has a spreadsheet on his home PC that he wants you to see, he can upload it to Google Drive, either through a small piece of software that you can download from them, or by logging in via a browser and uploading it from there. He can then invite you to access and edit it. Your edits will be immediately visible in the version on Google Drive. I think there is a way to automatically update the original if you use the software too, but I don't use it myself so I don't know how. I would also be careful about version control if you do this - I prefer to keep an original unaffected in case I need to revert a change that's wrong. That depends on what sort of document you're working with, though.

Mintyy Mon 08-Oct-12 17:03:43

Cherrypie - that's what I'm saying. It wasn't created in GoogleDrive ... so how does he get it there?

I think Naoko has provided the answer. Thanks both, very much, for your help.

We'll have to give it a whirl!

JeffTracy Fri 12-Oct-12 09:26:55

You can use the upload button in GoogleDrive to add new documents from your computer.

I have not used it, but there is also a bit of software from Google that syncs a folder on your computer to the GoogleDrive service, so then if you save a file to that folder it gets transferred up to GoogleDrive without you doing anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now