Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a Nokia Lumia mobile - Is it good? Shite?

(10 Posts)
SkiLift Mon 08-Oct-12 12:51:15

Would you recommend it. If so which particular one?

TariffHound Wed 10-Oct-12 12:04:56

I'd describe Nokia Lumias as great phones with a bit of an image problem.

I'm still on an iPhone, but my wife recently moved from an iPhone to the Lumia 610 (the budget model Lumia) and really enjoys it. She was finding the navigation of the iPhone had too many steps to do some of the basic things she wanted to do, example too many swipes to make a call to a person she calls several times a day.

Lumia phones make these types of tasks really simple. It uses an interface based around "tiles" - blocks that sit the home screen of the phone. A tile could represent a person you call often, a website you visit often, your Facebook page or many other elements. It's really simple to re-arrange these tiles, so you have all the most important stuff for you sitting on the front page of your phone. You then just need to push one tile to make a call to that person, go to that website etc - no more swiping through menus. SMS, Twitter and Facebook are really well integrated so you can manage your messaging to people via a ll these channels together - you don't have to go into individual messaging, Facebook or Twitter apps to check for messages from friends.

I'd go as far as to say the Lumias are the easiest to use smartphones currently available, and they are surprising and delighting many former iPhone and Samsung / Android phone owners.

They are also stylish, they look great and feel great in the hand. You can get them in a range of colours which is a nice change from the blacks of most other mobile phones.

Rather than read me bang on about them, I'd suggest you have a look at the Amazon customer reviews of the phones to see how recent owners have found their purchase.
Lumia 610 (budget model): http://amzn.to/R7heot
Lumia 800: (premium model): http://amzn.to/QS2e0Q

There is also a Lumia 710 and 900 model - but I'd start by looking at the 610 and 800 as they have the most bang for buck price wise.

So what's wrong with Lumias? Why do they have an image problem?
Firstly, they run off Microsoft's "Windows Phone 7" operating system. This is what drives the tiles based user interface. The good news is that the operating system is actually really good - this comes out on the positive feedback on Amazon about how easy the phone is to use. However the names "Microsoft" and "Windows" carry a lot of baggage. People think about clunky computers that crash a lot and get viruses. The name is also inaccurate - there are no "windows" in the Windows Phone operating system - its all based around tiles. So Microsoft have built some great phone software, but branding it "Microsoft" and "Windows" is a huge turn-off for many people.

Secondly, smart phones today are about apps, and there aren't nearly as many apps available for Windows Phones as their are for iPhones or Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy SIII. So if you like using apps, you're not going to be spoiled for choice with Windows Phone 7. Equally, this isn't such a problem for the Lumia if you just want the phone for calling, messaging and internet usage. Nokia bundle in great sat nav and music software with the Lumias. Many Lumia owners may not need to download another app. However Angry Birds is available if you need it.

Finally, Microsoft are releasing a new version of the operating system - snappily named Windows Phone 8 - in late October. There will be a range of new Lumia phones coming out then. They look great - here's a link:
http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia820/

From the pictures you can also see the ethos of how the phone can be tailored to put all the functions needed by the owner on the home screen - no swiping through screens needed.

Some people are disappointed that they can't upgrade their current Lumia phone running Windows Phone 7 to the new Windows Phone 8 operating system when it gets launched next month - more damage to the Lumia image! However for a lot of people, there new operating system won't make a difference to how they use the phone - so not having it isn't an issue.

To sum up, I think Lumias are great phones and you should consider one for your next purchase. They're fun and easy to use. People who own them, tend to love them. However with the new Lumia phones and Windows 8 operating system coming out later this month, if you were planning on taking out a 2 year contract - I'd wait until next month and take a new model.

However the launch of the new phones mean that the current models are being sold at bargain prices. You can get the 610 on PAYG for around £100, and the 800 on PAYG for around £200. These prices may drop further as the launch of the new phones approach. Either of the 610 or 800 are great phones, and a good buy as the Amazon feedback attests.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need a steer on networks or tariffs.

SkiLift Wed 10-Oct-12 12:53:51

wow! Thanks for all the info. It is actually for DS. He wants me to get him one and was talking about the 610 710 and 800 none of which means much to me, although I gather the 800 is what he really wants. So I shall probably go for that.

He has payg. So I would be buying the phone. His current tarrif is £15 payg on his blackberry and assures me that £15 per month from o2 with this new lumia 800 will still be able to do all he needs. I bloody hope so, because it is me who is paying! Just a bit concerned if I buy it, suddenly I need to top up £20 per month etc.

TariffHound Wed 10-Oct-12 14:49:09

No problem!
I think your son is on the right steer - O2 will do the 800 for £150. the price has been slashed from £329 as the new Lumia's are just around the corner. It's a really good buy at this price - not much more than the 610 which is going for £100. Link here:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/init/Nokia/Lumia%20800

For your PAYG tariff I'd suggest you opt into O2's "Text and Web" option. With this option, every £10-£14 top up gets you 300 texts, 500MB data and unlimited public wifi. If you top up £15-£29, you get 500 texts, 500MB and unlimited wifi. These allowances are on top of your top-up amount - e.g. if you top up £15, the £15 can be used for calls whilst the texts and data allowance won't decrement the top up amount.
Link here:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go#

Good luck!

SkiLift Wed 10-Oct-12 14:55:37

marvellous. Should I swoop on the o2 one now? I don't need it until christmas but I do like a bargain.

TariffHound Wed 10-Oct-12 15:05:37

Ooooh, Christmas. That's a new dimension.
I'd lean to yes - because it is a bargain - I'm just hesitating because its a gift for your son, and I'm not sure if he'd be aware that there are newer Lumias coming out later this month. There will be quite a bid of advertising about the new Lumias over November and December - I'm not sure if he'd be disappointed at Christmas if he had an older model rather than the newer models.

Is it an option to talk to him about his preferences? Perhaps he could have the choice of getting the £200 800 for Christmas, or alternatively he gets funded £200 towards one of the new Lumias (no prices currently available), and he needs to fund the difference?

Dilema!

SkiLift Wed 10-Oct-12 15:44:30

right, I will sound him out tonight about there being a newer model around the corner. Then if he is ok with it, I will buy it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

TariffHound Wed 10-Oct-12 16:06:21

No problem, happy to help!

Whistlingwaves Thu 18-Oct-12 10:40:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TariffHound Fri 19-Oct-12 09:31:03

I'm glad to hear your enjoying it. I've also heard phone shop sales staff trying to steer people away from the Nokia Lumias, and I thought that was odd.

My wife is really enjoying her 610, and was showing it to her mother last weekend, as her mother is very frustrated with her current phone. Looks like we might have two 610s in the family soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now