Talk

Advanced search

how much memory on a tablet?

(7 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 08-Oct-12 12:29:23

Thinking of buying dd a tablet for Christmas. Would mostly be for gaming.

I was just going to get a cheapy £80 model. However they are only 4gb which doesn't seem like a lot. What is this '4gb'. Is it storage space for the apps? I'm guessing its not processing memory.

Any recommendations?

APMF Tue 09-Oct-12 21:08:00

The 4gb is storage. In reality only about 3.6gb is available. The difference is taken up by the operating system. A few apps, a few videos and a couple of CD worth of music will eat that up.

Cheap tablets tend not to have a slot for SD cards else you can get a 32gb card for about £23.

If you just want a tablet for surfing then 4gb is enough. Else I would splash out for a better spec tablet.

APMF Tue 09-Oct-12 21:15:45

.... re recommendations, go to amazon.co.uk and search for 'Archos'. Archos brings out a new model almost every year so older models can be had for about £130 (I haven't checked prices recently).

Mine is a 2 yr old Archos 70b with 250gb storage which gives me about 500 hours of videos.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 12-Oct-12 08:31:32

As a guide, a DVD usually falls somewhere between 4 and 8 GB depending on extras, etc. So 4GB is very little if there's no SD card slot. But storage isn't going to be your only problem with a cheap tablet, you really only get what you pay for at that price. I'd look at the Nexus 7 for around £170 as an absolute minimum price.

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 12-Oct-12 10:40:18

Thanks for that.

I was thinking of looking around the £200 mark if 4gb isn't enough. It is for Christmas so I have a while yet. I will keep an eye out for some offers.

APMF Mon 15-Oct-12 21:28:28

There is no point having a dvd quality movie on a 7-10 inch screen so the norm is to shrink the movie down to about 0.7GB as a rough guide.

APMF Mon 15-Oct-12 21:34:02

..... checkout Kindle Fire at Amazon.co.uk. 16gb for £159.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now