Talk

Advanced search

I know it's a long shot but does anyone use Google Refine?

(5 Posts)
EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 03-Oct-12 13:52:05

And if you do... I have an addresses spreadsheet where the addresses are all different lengths, so the postcodes are spread out over 3 different columns. I know it should be possible to move them all to one column but how? I can't merge because only one of the three columns is exclusively postcodes at the moment and I want the non-postcode stuff to stay where it is.

I've got as far as filtering the postcodes using \d\w\w but how do I move them?

TIA and thanks

MrAnchovy Wed 03-Oct-12 14:17:07

I don't use Google Refine, I do bulk data manipulation in MySQL or Excel.

I would probably just do it in the spreadsheet: use MATCH("ZZZZZ",B5:F5) to find the last non-blank column, then use IFs to select the appropriate column or blank as appropriate.

Presumably you can duplicate this in Refine - i.e. don't think about moving the postcodes, instead create a new column containing the postcodes and then delete the last non-blank entry in each row?

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 03-Oct-12 20:20:15

Thanks MrAnchovy, I'll try that.

MrAnchovy Wed 03-Oct-12 20:31:59

Actually I probably wouldn't even do that - just sort on the last column, copy the postcodes over to the postcode column and delete them. Sort on the last-1 column, copy over and delete. Repeat.

MrAnchovy Wed 03-Oct-12 20:33:50

Oops, vital detail missed...

Actually I probably wouldn't even do that - just sort on the last column, copy the postcodes over to the postcode column and delete them. Now sort the rows that haven't yet been fixed on the last-1 column, copy over and delete. Repeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now