Talk

Advanced search

Help with checking laptops' 'history'. I ve no idea where to start!

(8 Posts)
Halfcups Tue 02-Oct-12 12:57:09

Please help me as I m pretty useless with this sort of stuff! I want to look at the history of my laptop to see what sites have been visited. Is there any simple way of doing this? Apart from 'recently visited' is there a way to look at all the sites a surfer has been to even if they have deleted the history?
I will go to a shop to get the laptop cleaned eventually but want to check activity before I do.
Many thanks.

1sassylassy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:54:48

What browser are you using? If the history has been cleared then that might be it.

Halfcups Tue 02-Oct-12 22:06:39

Ahem, when you say browser what do you mean exactly?😳

1sassylassy Wed 03-Oct-12 06:39:35

When you browse the Internet,what do you click on to start,is it Internet Explorer,if so look for a little star along the top toolbar,click on this then click on history,however if somebody has covered their tracks by deleting history then unless you get expert help your not going to find out.

Halfcups Wed 03-Oct-12 16:37:29

Thanks for help but it all appears to be deleted....

lazydog Wed 03-Oct-12 18:36:51

If it's Internet Explorer or Firefox it is likely that history will not be completely gone, even if the user has attempted to delete browsing history from within the browser. Is it critical that you know? It's not entirely straightforward to do. You need a program to read/browse the index.dat file if we're talking IE (and off the top of my head, I can't remember the name of the utility I used for that right now - I'd need to look back in my notes) or you can safely try using the "CacheViewer Continued" Addon for Firefox, if that's their browser of choice.

Halfcups Thu 04-Oct-12 00:32:32

Thanks for the info. Maybe I don t have to know, just curious....

12thmonkey Thu 04-Oct-12 14:30:19

most sites use cookies so a simple way is to look in teh cookies folder, as deleting history does not automatically delete cookies, other than what lazydog says is it really worth it, esp if you are getting it 'cleaned'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now