Talk

Advanced search

An Ipad or a Macbook Air?

(14 Posts)
DialMforMummy Sun 30-Sep-12 09:10:14

Hi all,
I am about to receive a generous sum of money and was thinking in spending some of it to buy a second computer. We currently have a Macbbook pro and DH uses it almost constantly to work in the evenings therefore I would like my own so I also do some work but, let's be honest, mainly browsing, emailing, online shopping and so on.
For this purpose, an iPad would be ideal (and cheaper), but I am wondering whether actually an iPad is just a grown up toy and if, in fact, in the long run I'd get more use out of a small laptop. Also, do iPads have a decent longevity? I have an iPhone and they certainly slow down big time after 6 months or so.
Any suggestions/views welcome. (BTW I do not want to buy a laptop that is not an Mac).
Thank you

SomeoneThatYouUsedToKnow Sun 30-Sep-12 15:19:13

I would go for an IPad, they are so portable and convenient to use. There are 5 iPads in our household and none have slowed down or had any problems at all. We also have PC's an IMac, iphones and a MacPro but the IPad is my favourite and most used.

I am still quite surprised at how much we all use our iPads.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 30-Sep-12 15:23:19

personally I'd find the lack of keyboard irritating, but you can get a separate keyboard for an i pad.... money no object, I'd get a macbook Air.

Snorbs Sun 30-Sep-12 15:26:05

I think the critical question is: what are you planning to use it for?

DialMforMummy Sun 30-Sep-12 20:48:36

I'd use it for browsing and emailing. Can you open and print attachments to emails on an iPad?

basildonbond Sun 30-Sep-12 22:12:05

you can open attachments and you can print as long as you have a compatible air print printer

I mainly use my ipad to email, look at websites, read the Guardian, watch iplayer, check the weather, look up directions (haven't updated to ios6 yet ...), read books, play games, follow recipes, skype etc etc - it's been used loads every day for the last 18 months and no sign of it slowing down or any problems at all - it just works smile If I were going to do lots of typing on it I'd probably want to get a keyboard case for it, however the amount of typing I do, the onscreen keyboard is fine - I did invitations for dd's birthday party the other day and it was easy

PorkyandBess Sun 30-Sep-12 22:16:11

We have both but iPad gets most use, I'd say.

V good for watching tv shows whilst in the bath, I just prop it at the end.

ceeveebee Sun 30-Sep-12 22:26:11

I very rarely use my laptop, always my ipad or iphone.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 30-Sep-12 22:31:00

iPad definitely. I have a MBP and don't use it half as much as I did before my iPad. Not sure what you mean about the phones slowing down though. I'm on my 5th iPhone, having owned every model (through choice, not breakage!) and have never had a problem with any of them.

LittleBearPad Sun 30-Sep-12 22:33:18

Get an iPad. I love mine and practically never switch my laptop on. Plus the iPad and iPhone sync with one another which is useful.

SrirachaGirl Sun 30-Sep-12 22:39:34

I posted almost an identical thread to this a couple of months ago. Never thought I'd give up my MacBook but it was on it's last legs...Currently typing this from my new IPad and I LUFFS it. Typing is much easier than I thought and YY to watching your favourite TV shows in the bath! It's much, much faster than my IPhone for surfing the interwebs, too. I would plump for the maximum data package option so that you can use it on-the-go (ballet lessons and what-have-you). I can only use mine at home or Starbucks...First world problem, I know grin.

SomeoneThatYouUsedToKnow Sun 30-Sep-12 23:44:48

I can print from my wireless printer even though it is not an air print printer. It is not perfect but it does work.
If I am out I use my IPad by tethering it to my iPhone. It is not super fast but it's ok.

alibeenherealongtime Mon 01-Oct-12 18:23:18

I have an Ipad, my 2nd, ( 1st gen and new iPad) an Air and a Macbook pro, I haven't used the Air for months, the Macbook Pro is a 17 inch so it does't go anywhere apart from my desk, coveting an iMac 21" now as I think the laptop is dying slowly

I love the iPad, it goes everywhere! Also if you have an iPhone, just tether it instead of buying one with a sim slot, I do it all the time instead of my sim card, no extra cost on my iPhone contract, so that saves £100 on an iPad.

12thmonkey Thu 04-Oct-12 14:55:19

i wouod go for a macbook air 11inch the screen is not too disimilar and it will last a lot longer in terms of OS, the blur between mac OS and iOS is starting to thin to the point where there will be none soon. Its just as portable and will be much more powerful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now