Talk

Advanced search

Can't install printer on Mac!!

(17 Posts)
ethelb Fri 28-Sep-12 20:02:47

I am tring to install my new HP Deskjet 1000 Printer J110a (using a wired connection) and have run the installation CD. However, the device does not appear in the devices box in the set up or when I try to print anything.

I have downloaded the drivers from both the Apple site and the HP site, but nothing changes and the printer does not appear in devices. Besides, the printer is supposed to be compatible with Max OS X version 10.5. It says so on the box!

There is enough disk space (111GB) and all the wires are connected securely. I have tried turning everything off and on again (!) but the device just won't appear.

Any ideas of what else to try before I stump up for Apple assistance?

SunWukong Sat 29-Sep-12 11:35:08

Don't use apple don't like apple, have you tried what ever the rotten apple version of search for new devices is? Have you tried a different cable in case it's fucked?

ethelb Sat 29-Sep-12 17:24:41

No I haven't tried a diffferent cable. I bought this one specially. Do I have to buy a new one sad

alibeenherealongtime Sun 30-Sep-12 07:33:40

We gave up with HP and bought an Epson. Epson never fail us with Apple, the HP was crap, no wonder it came free with the MacBook pro! I have had Apple for 20 years, the only HP that worked was the laser one using Ethernet.

We found that the HP wireless kept dropping out and needed to be reinstalled every time we tried to print!

Not very helpful I' m afraid , but true!

SunWukong Sun 30-Sep-12 09:06:45

That's I interesting as I've never had problem with hp on my linux and mac os is all just bsd anyway, wonder what they did to fuck it up.

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 09:53:02

How did you install your computer?

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 09:53:15

Sorry printer!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Sun 30-Sep-12 09:54:46

Not much to add but maybe try a different USB port?

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 11:50:10

I've tried a different USB port. Made no difference.

Oh dear am I really that stuffed? I bought this to set up a small business with and don't know if I can send back. I want to cry!

wibblywobbler Sun 30-Sep-12 12:06:55

I know this is not helpful but I was torn between and HP and an Epson, in the end I went for the Epson as Amazon had it in stock. It has worked perfectly with my Mac since day 1

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 12:09:42

If HP doesn't work with Max, can claim they broke the trade descriptions act? To get my money back?

The official line is that it is compatible.

1sassylassy Sun 30-Sep-12 12:43:49

OP does this help.

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 12:56:33

Looks helpful thanks. Completely different instructions than those from HP.

However, if I go to "view" there is no "show printer list"

ethelb Sun 30-Sep-12 13:01:30

ahh, found it. But when I go to add printer > more printers the "add" button is greyed out. That's my problem. Bugger.

dontlaugh Mon 01-Oct-12 23:30:59

Maybe bit late for you op but this happened me with a different HP printer, the 3070a to be exact, over a wireless connection. After 49 minutes on the phone to HP we between us got it connected and printing. However, I had to assign the printer it's own ip address (apparently this harks back to the stone age of printing) and to this day the mac can't find it to scan. I would call hp if I were you, they are v v familiar with Mac and HP not talking easily.

ethelb Tue 02-Oct-12 09:48:18

Ye,s it keeps on asking me for an ip address, but I don't want to do it wirelessly.

It's still not working. Will call HP first.

dontlaugh Tue 02-Oct-12 12:50:42

Ironically mine worked noproblem when wired directly, wireless was the issue. Will you post back what hp say? I'm annoyed I still can't scan but now out of warranty so a call would cost me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now