Talk

Advanced search

Foreign language keyboard apps

(6 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Fri 28-Sep-12 20:01:27

Can anyone recommend a good one? I'm after a Russian keyboard. Embarrassingly, the problem is that while I do speak Russian, Im clearly doing something wrong as it wont pop up when I am texting or using Russian teaching apps. So I must be misreading something. Surely there are numpty versions somewhere?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 28-Sep-12 20:40:52

Swift Key 3 has tons of language support. I'm not a foreign speaker, but it's by far the best keyboard I've ever used for predictions and corrections, so I'd be surprised if it's Russian wasn't pretty solid too!

Nigglenaggle Fri 28-Sep-12 20:44:53

OK I will give it a go!!

SunWukong Sun 30-Sep-12 09:11:51

If you are on Samsung they have lots of keyboards on their app store for nothing.

BertieBotts Sun 30-Sep-12 09:19:01

I like swiftkey too but since it updated to the new version it looks awful on my phone, which has a pretty small screen. Plus you have to pay for it and it may be unnecessary - try this first.

What's probably happening is that although you have russian installed as a language you need to switch the keyboard over to that language. If you're on android you can change it by going to

Settings
Locale and Text
<name of keyboard you're using - it will have a green tick mark by it>

From there you should be able to switch languages and set up a shortcut key if the keyboard supports it - many of them have the shortcut set to swiping the space bar to one side, but you might be able to change it if you don't like that.

Then if you're not getting on with that, try downloading some other keyboards. There is one I've read a review of which is supposed to be great for switching between languages but I can't remember which one it is, try googling "Best android keyboard for different languages"

If you're on IOS then it's probably fairly similar - try looking in your settings for likely options.

Nigglenaggle Sun 30-Sep-12 20:37:17

Ah thanks Bertie didnt see your post until the deed was done but ta for the advice! However got Swift Key in the sale apparently and was 69p so I can live with that and it is just what I was looking for thanks all - mumsnet is awesome!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now