Talk

Advanced search

Anyone who knows anything about solar panels, please come here!

(3 Posts)
jumpingjackamo Tue 25-Sep-12 00:44:12

I want to buy some small solar panels to mount in the back yard to lower electricity bills.

I had a look online and there seem to be some cheap one's around for even just over a hundred pounds each.

I don't know anything about solar panels beyond the little I have read on how the silicon atoms in them work. I would really like to know how I could connect them up to my house without it involving any major stress (my place is rented so I don't want to do anything that could damage walls for instance), I would also like to know any information on how I would go about doing this.

Do I call my electricity supplier?

Are cheaper solar panels still efficient?

Any info appreciated!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 25-Sep-12 18:43:28

As no one else has offered anything.... I can't profess to know much, but from general electrical knowledge, I'd wager that cheap probably means less efficient and I wouldn't expect that a few panels in the garden will offer an awful lot of power anyway. The massive racks of high quality panels which people mount on their roofs cost thousands of pounds and even then may not cover all the electrical needs of the home.

I'd recommend looking into the power output of the panels you are considering and comparing that to your electricity consumption first before going any further.

Sorry I don't know anything more specific, but hope that helps.

Again I don't profess to know much, but I would expect you'd need to install inverters, etc. to replace mains power. It would probably require your landlords approval and I would not expect it to be cost effective with small panels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now