Talk

Advanced search

iPod cracked screen

(8 Posts)
deste Mon 24-Sep-12 21:47:03

My iPod has a cracked screen, obviously done by the cracked screen fairy. Can I just leave it and carry on, it's not causing any problems or should it be fixed right away in case it gets worse. If it does need fixed, how much does it cost to replaced? It's cracked along the top, corner to corner.

Softlysoftly Mon 24-Sep-12 23:24:53

I did this to mine, it worked fine for ages after but you can get them repaired at Carphone warehouse, wasn't cheap if I remember rightly £100ish but my memory may be wrong.

deste Tue 25-Sep-12 12:25:18

Ok thanks.

smoothieooo Tue 25-Sep-12 12:31:08

I cracked the screen of my iPad a couple of months ago - it had a bulky cover on it but I dropped it and it landed on an unprotected corner. It still worked - just about - but I was contemplating claiming on my house insurance. Before I did that, I went to one of the Apple Genius bars just to see if they could do anything. They told me they couldn't repair the screen as the iPad is one whole unit but that they would replace the whole thing for £200 (it's an iPad 2 and was out of warranty).

I thought that was a pretty good deal so, to cut a long story short, is there any way you could get yourself to an Apple Store Genius bar?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 25-Sep-12 19:02:59

What kind of iPod is it? If it's a touch, don't bother taking it in, will cost extortionate amounts. You can buy screen kits off ebay for less than a tenner and change it yourself (plenty of help articles online). It's a little fiddly but not that hard, and will save you a ton of cash that Apple really don't need!

Doshusallie Tue 25-Sep-12 19:10:52

Not sure it applies to iPods but my iPhone screen cracked and I sent it off to a company I found online who fixed the screen and returned it in 48 hours for about £30.

Pascha Tue 25-Sep-12 19:23:43

DH changed the iPod touch screen using a kit off eBay and a YouTube tutorial as Pedro mentioned. Cost about a tenner and took about 45 minutes and a lot of patience. It's not technically hard, just fiddly.

deste Tue 25-Sep-12 20:23:25

Oops I see it says iPod but it is in fact my ipad, sorry for the confusion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now