Talk

Advanced search

Any Access database (V2000) around?

(17 Posts)
Frontpaw Wed 19-Sep-12 15:12:52

I have set up a mega database with loads of info on contactsa (contact details, what forms they received when, follow ups etc). Is there any way of printing a sheet off for each contact with all this info on it?

NatashaBee Wed 19-Sep-12 15:31:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frontpaw Wed 19-Sep-12 15:32:32

Bollocks. I suspected that!

NetworkGuy Wed 19-Sep-12 15:38:31

A report, surely? (based on a form! smile )

Been a while since I had to develop Access (my first proper project db had about a million records when the bigger hard drives available for PCs was around 500 MB - I had a 1200 quid machine in the office with 2x 500 MB drives to work on). It was going to be mine eventually, paid for at 100 quid a month from my salary, but as it was the highest spec machine we had, was the one needed for the Access work... and the guy at Microsoft's jaw dropped when I told him how many records were in the db and that it was only partially filled... and then the client wanted to change the spec... ah, dreadful happy days!

NetworkGuy Wed 19-Sep-12 15:39:36

but you can surely create a query to gather the info and then use the report wizard to take that query... so only need to tinker with layout if it looks awful.

Frontpaw Wed 19-Sep-12 16:04:11

I have no training whatsoever in this system and just need to set up a system where people can input the data and I can print off sheets that can be fiked and accessed by other members of staff in hard copy format.

I have the manual grin. It is about 600 pages long sad.

AMumInScotland Wed 19-Sep-12 16:24:45

There should be a Report Wizard which will take you through it step by step. I think you just go to the Reports section and pick New Report though I can't remember the exact wording now. After that you can adjust the formatting if you like, it's really not that hard.

AMumInScotland Wed 19-Sep-12 16:28:52

I've just looked - you go to Reports, then there's an option to Create Report By Using Wizard. You pick which table or query you want the data from, then which fields - if you pick them one by one in the order you want them to appear that will be easiest.

Then you get an option to group them - just click Next since you want a page per person.

Then you can decide what order to sort them (if you care)

Then there some choices of format, try them and see what you think. Once you've finished, you can think about going back in and editting if you want, but the standard stuff may be enough to be useful.

Frontpaw Wed 19-Sep-12 16:32:07

Thank you! Going to have fun tomorrow!

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Sep-12 00:23:59

If you get really stuck, there's an internet service at join.me/ which allows a second (or more) people to view your screen and I'd willingly phone you to suggest what to do next (I'm rusty though, please remember) as calls to 01/02/03 are only 5p even if the call last 30 or 300 minutes smile

It's like having an OHP for students to see what a lecturer is writing (hmmmm, that shows my age!) but anyway, it's a one-way thing (rather than logmein.com which allows for full remote control - I do use that with clients so I can check their systems, install software, etc on their behalf, but just watching your screen while you control what's going on is safer for you).

Frontpaw Thu 20-Sep-12 16:27:25

So I set up the database and managed to get it to print out each entry n a for, format but I have two problems:

1 some of the column headers are too long, so they are cut off
2 I have no idea how to save the data so that I can pull it into a form. It was a pure accident how I did it!

AMumInScotland Thu 20-Sep-12 17:32:11

If you go into Design View on the report, then you can click on individual pieces and resize them, or change the wording so that a shorter version of the word is more understandable.

Not sure what you mean by saving the data - the report will pull in every record from a table or query, where I assume you already have the data?

Frontpaw Thu 20-Sep-12 18:11:14

I've probably set the data up wrong! I have seen that it can be done and won't be beaten by a piece of software!

I saved a test (called uinspiringly TEST) then when I tried to create a form, it gave me the option to build it using the headers I have put in TEST. When I tried to build a form using XYZ Datalist it couldn't 'see' it for some reason.

AMumInScotland Fri 21-Sep-12 10:22:46

I'd be going for a report rather than a form if your main aim is to print it off, as forms aren't really intended for that, they're more for helping people see and edit the information while they're in the database itself. But either way you should be able to find a list of the tables and queries you already have in your database. Are you using a wizard to create your form/report? That will take you through it better than trying to do it by other methods.

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Sun 23-Sep-12 15:28:54

PM me if you want me to have a look at it, OP. You could perhaps email me the relationships diagram so that I could see what it is you're doing.

Frontpaw Sun 23-Sep-12 15:32:46

Ooo Orange - I love you mwah mwah! If I send my dummy with all the bits I need can you tell me what I need to do?

I will happily pay in chocolate.

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Sun 23-Sep-12 16:06:14

That would be great - I'll pm you my email address and will look at it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now