Talk

Advanced search

Quick question before buying a Play station 3 console

(15 Posts)
HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Wed 19-Sep-12 09:24:40

I'm looking for a slimline PS3 console on eBay, DH's birthday in a couple of weeks, but I'm a bit confused by all the different models. The cheapest I can find is £135 for a second hand 120gb console, which ends in 90 minutes, but there seems to be ones up to 320gb available. What does this mean? DH is not a serious gamer he maybe spends a couple of hours a week playing GTA or snooker so will the smaller one do the job just fine?

SunWukong Wed 19-Sep-12 09:39:33

Ps3 has a bluray drive that loads stuff s damn sight slower then a normal dvd, so often it will install most of the game to the hard drive, tales of graces for example requires 2gig.

Also there are a lots of nice stuff on psn you might want to buy.

And sod ebay buy a new one from a shop, the base model is 189 and many places have bundles, game for example have the 320 for 250 with 3 games. Amazon have similar offeres

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Wed 19-Sep-12 13:58:11

Thank you smile

SunWukong Thu 20-Sep-12 09:50:12

I also advise getting one asap, the new one is out soon, every redesign is cheaper and shiter then the last, this new has a flip top lid instead of a suck in drive and the base model will be only 12gig, the next one up 500, if you want to up the base model you have to buy a special hard drive or a special over priced bracket so you can put a pc one in it.

Absolute joke, the original ps3 allowed you to put a pc hard drive in it without any extra crap being needed.

Don't get saddled with the new ultra slim go get one now.

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Sep-12 11:40:22

Probably worth checking hotukdeals.com for any deals on PS3 and do it now. Did not know about the new one coming soon, which sounds poor.

Mine was nearer 300 quid with a pile of games, but the games can be found for a tenner (used) in places like Asda, so when you see a figure like 250 quid based on RRP of say 400-450 quid, that'd be paying full price (30-40 quid per game).

I'd suggest looking for a new 320 GB PS3 deal (so no need to consider upgrading later), without (m)any games, and add 50 quid in cash to spend in Asda (unless DH will only like 'sealed and new' boxed games) or elsewhere (plenty of the posters on HUKD have items for sale or to swap so if you see someone flogging some PS3 games there, might get some bargains).

Apologies to anyone thinking I plug HUKD too often, but as it has tips from thousands of users across UK, it often shows bargains that one would never have time to find (I certainly don't visit 100+ web sites a day, or 30+ shops, to spot any newly reduced bargains, yet there must be a few dozen new posts each day on HUKD, pointing to clothing, electronics, food etc, bargains!)

SunWukong Thu 20-Sep-12 11:50:51

The best place to get a 320 at the mo is game with cod, uncharted 3 and .gt5, you can get 17 credit in cex for the two games I've kept cod black ops.

Or amazon where they have a bundle deal which includes logo batman 2 according to cex they give about 18 for that one alone.

Cex seem to givethe best cash and credit formost things.

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Thu 20-Sep-12 13:16:36

Thanks both, I have to admit to being totally confused again now, what is cex?

DH won't be bothered about games etc, thats assuming his old ps2 games will still play on a ps3? So for just the console you recommend the 320gb? We are neither of us remotely techy so any extra capabilities over being able to play games are wasted on us really!

Wish I understood this kind of thing better! Off to check out the websites you've recommended now.

ByTheWay1 Thu 20-Sep-12 13:25:54

ermmm - most PS2 games will NOT play on the PS3 - we have one (kept the PS2 upstairs so the kids can watch dvds and play games when their friends come round) - I don't play lots of games, but felt that it was a good buy because we can play some games and use it as a blueray/dvd player and use it for things like catch up tv - bbc i-player etc..

SunWukong Thu 20-Sep-12 13:39:42

Pretty sure no ps2 games work on ps3 anymore, the first models had limited backwardscompatability but since 2008 at least they've had no ps2 compatibility have they?.

They just sell the games too you again firm a very small collection online.

CEX is a chain of secondhand shops.

SunWukong Thu 20-Sep-12 13:40:23

From not firm.

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Thu 20-Sep-12 15:23:51

Oh blimey I didn't know that, that's even more annoying! sad This is turning into an expensive present, maybe I'll just get him a bottle of whisky instead...

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 20-Sep-12 20:23:44

Hold up! Sony have literally just announced the new even slimmer model. There's a 500GB version coming 28th September for €300 and a 12GB flash memory model on the 12th October (which can take an external hard drive for additional space) for €230. Apologies for European pricing, that's all I could find!

NetworkGuy Fri 21-Sep-12 20:17:01

Re new even slimmer models:

Ummm, isn't that what SunWukong was indicating (models to avoid!) at 09:50 ?

No need to answer, it was a rhetorical question...

SunWukong Sat 22-Sep-12 11:32:55

Just to add hmv say 180 for the snigger 12gig version and 250 for the 500.

Suggs44 Sat 19-Mar-16 05:15:33

The best place to by a super slim ps3 is from cex,i bought a 500gb one just before christmas for £90,and now they sell them a bit cheaper,hope this helps you out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now