Talk

Advanced search

Sky Wireless Connector - do I really have to pay £60?

(16 Posts)
Thegoddessblossom Mon 17-Sep-12 15:50:04

Hi,

Has anyone bought one of these in order to access Sky Anytime and Sky Go on ipads etc, and if so did you pay anything less than what Sky website is charging?

TIA

Bloss

CutItOutAndRestart Mon 17-Sep-12 16:05:06

I am sure I looked at this ages ago and laughed at the £60 they wanted. To get the full anytime service I have simply stuck my router next to the sky box, unplugged the phone line that goes into my sky box and plugged that into the router and then used the yellow ethernet cable to connect my router and skybox.

if you can't do this and it has to be wireless I think there was a wireless Xbox adaptor that could be used but I'm not sure how much it is.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Mon 17-Sep-12 16:11:16

NO

I was talking to my colleague about this and he said bollocks to sky, and you could get what is needed in Maplins or something.

I will ask him tomorrow. I need one (currently i have a cable running from the telly box to the phone so need a wireless jobby).

heavenstobetsy Mon 17-Sep-12 16:12:42

i got one for free - sort of!! You just need to moan on a bit ......

for example - I initially rang to complain that my wireless router was playing up and kept over heating. I was told I had to purchase a new one from sky for £30 because only their one works with the Sky broadband - I kicked up a fuss because I was tied in to a broadband contract, didn't know about the router issue when I signed up blah, blah, blah. the guy on the phone then talked about how good they were with anytime and I moaned on about that too since I can't use anytime as i refuse to pay £60 for a box blah blah blah. Anyway, he then suggested that if I agreed to buy the router they'd send me the anytime box thing for free! so, £30 got me a new router and an anytime box

worth a go - you could always ebay the sky router if it was surplus to requirements

Thegoddessblossom Mon 17-Sep-12 16:27:15

thanks all - in answer to another thread I have bought these and for a further £20 bought another one that is wired and sits on top of the hd box and plus into a power source and achieves the same effect as a wireless connector.

Thegoddessblossom Thu 20-Sep-12 19:05:31

So - bought what I thought would connect my sky box to the broadband - was assured it would. Still can"t seem to access anytime. Sky customer services no help, as I didn't buy their connector. Any ideas? It"s flashing a lot, which the intructions say means transferring data.....

Doshusallie Wed 03-Oct-12 16:20:45

update on this - these are now £9.99 on sky website, down from £60

NetworkGuy Wed 03-Oct-12 17:23:04

Have you tried the devices with a PC (turn wireless connection off and plug into ethernet socket) to check a connection can be made?

I'm assuming the top (power) and second (link to other adaptor) lights are on all the time, and the third (ethernet device local to the adaptor) is the one flashing but would appreciate confirmation.

I will have to take a look at my Sky box but would expect it to just try making a connection if any cable is plugged in.

NetworkGuy Wed 03-Oct-12 17:25:43

Ah, hopefully blossom got connected OK...

Worth knowing they charge only a tenner for the wireless unit, maybe they could see numbers of customers low (or VirginMedia and the free YouView box from BT Broadband made it essential they set prices at a more reasonable level)

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Sun 07-Oct-12 17:01:04

I bought a 9m cable for 50 pence. Voila sky any time grin

NetworkGuy Mon 08-Oct-12 00:25:33

Nice bargain ! One off, I assume...

HotPinkFuckingFuckFerrets Mon 08-Oct-12 11:35:47

No. confused

You only need a ethernet cable to get Anytime.

Wireless makes life easier, but is not necessary if you have a modem in the same room as the tv.

My local friendly computer dude makes them to measure prices range from around a quid to a fiver.

HotPinkFuckingFuckFerrets Mon 08-Oct-12 11:37:43

You only need a wireless modem to get sky anytime too, and a sky account obviously.

I have anytime on all mobile devices - no special wireless box confused

HotPinkFuckingFuckFerrets Mon 08-Oct-12 11:39:25

Ignore - you mean the box for £10 grin

Sky have been doing that over the phone for a LONG time. Spoke to sales rep she said its standard practise when people call and ask.

NetworkGuy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:30:33

it was the 50p cable I was meaning...

HoneyDragon Mon 08-Oct-12 19:59:44

Yes. I was most pleased to discover that anytime is free with an Ethernet cable grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now