Talk

Advanced search

Budget Tablets £100 limit, is it possible?

(22 Posts)
nickiminja Fri 24-Aug-12 22:01:22

Is it possible to buy a decent, useable tablet in this price range? Or not a chance?
I'd like to get the kids something for Christmas that is suitable for watching films on via lovefilm, so good size screen, they can play angry birds and other apps, and do some surfing. And when they've gone to bed I can use it to mumsnet in bed grin
Would be grateful if anyone more techy than me has any ideas. I have read reviews until my eyes ache but can't get anywhere. Thank you!

SunWukong Fri 24-Aug-12 22:12:38

I'm looking at getting a tablet at the moment (not that cheap).

but maybe you should go look at the Arnova.

SunWukong Fri 24-Aug-12 22:19:43

Or a NatPC for that matter actually I forgot about them.

Personally I'm trying to make my mind up about the £200+ ones so I only spotted those ones in passing no nothing of them, but noticed they had good review ratings.

ColourMeWithChaos Fri 24-Aug-12 22:25:25

If you're happy not to have google certification then you can get something for less than £100.

DH bought one for £70, he generally uses it to download the paper at home before he goes to work and then for random surfing stuff at work or at his Mum's (she has wifi but no PC) It's okay I guess. My iPhone is about a thousand times faster, even using 3G, but his tablet has a far bigger screen. It's just so slow and the touch screen is horribly touchy (grin) and a bit unpredictable but it works, and it's okay for surfing the net --slowly-.

FWIW he bought a generic rip off one from Amazon, but he kind of wishes he got the Nexus 7 which is £159, but is probably too small for film watching (although I watch films via Sky Go on my iPhone because I'm a sad individual!)

Haberdashery Fri 24-Aug-12 22:47:35

I have a NatPC. It's fine but the wireless can be unreliable and requires a bit of non-scary techy stuff to get it to work properly (installing a couple of apps and setting them up and even then I sometimes have to remind it that wifi is a good thing). I think it's fine for a bit of surfing/MNing, fine for games, fine for content which is actually on the tablet but a bit rubbish for streaming video (I don't do this much so it works OK for me in general). I would highly recommend a Nexus 7 - have played with one and they are excellent.

SunWukong Fri 24-Aug-12 22:50:36

Since no one commented on my thread can you two comment on all on the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, Asus Transformer, HTC Flyer and how they compare to the Asus Nexus 7?

thisisyesterday Fri 24-Aug-12 22:52:47

what about the blackberry playbook?

thisisyesterday Fri 24-Aug-12 22:53:18

on offer here

I know nothing about Tablets really Sun so can only comment on what I've had hands on experience with iyswim, sorry! DH is fairly useless as well (far better with actual computers I'm afraid)

That Blackberry playbook gives me itchy fingers in a 'oh look shiny tech I want to play with' kind of way. That's a massive price drop.

SunWukong Fri 24-Aug-12 23:18:17

Oh well thanks for replying, that I expect is why no one commented on my thread, (I think most on here have Apple products) I've gotten fed up with all this anyway, been wondering about this for 3 days looking at all kinds of things, I've just gone and ordered the one I looked at in the first place.

Samsung Galaxy Tab2, 10.1inch 16gb Wifi version.

I don't think much of the Nexus 7 tho I've not laid eyes on one, for a start it's small but mainly because I don't think it has an expansion slot (not 100% sure I've looked at so many now but I don't think it does), the Samsung can have it's capacity expanded via SD cards and can have USB keys shoved in it (with an adaptor sold separately).

MotionOfTheOcean Sat 25-Aug-12 07:01:44

SunWukong,I think you are right about apple on here,there is no denying that the ipad leads the way but there are Android products that are not far behind but a damn sight cheaper,I think you have made a good choice with the Samsung,certainly it would be the one I would be looking at if I was going to buy another tablet.
Op,have a look at these tablets here,might be worth reading the individual reviews ,the seller seems to get good reviews.

nickiminja Sat 25-Aug-12 08:37:16

Thanks all, it's interesting about the slow connections on cheaper models, I am so dumb I didn't realise this was a computer issue and not a broadband one hmm! Will go and have a peruse to see if it's a false economy

nickiminja Sat 25-Aug-12 08:39:36

motion thanks for the amazon link, I have come across the name in some pc mag reviews but hadn't looked at her store

nickiminja Sat 25-Aug-12 08:49:39

this looks too good to be true! reviews are generally excellent for a family tablet under £80!

CumberdickBendybatch Sat 25-Aug-12 08:54:21

I'd be tempted to buy a second hand decent one, rather than a new cheap one. Many cheap tablets are just awful to use

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Aug-12 09:27:36

mrsdmitri the playbook is good! dp has one. the kids like playing games on it.

however, if we were comparing it to an ipad then it would lose. badly! lol

dp sits and surfs the web on it and checks e-mail etc, it's certainly very useable

NetworkGuy Sat 25-Aug-12 15:53:54

thisisyesterday - I think the 64 GB model is now selling for 129 pounds too.

Saw it on HotUKdeals.com yesterday (and while I know it isn't going to be on a par with either iPad or Android for availability and range of Apps, for something to browse and store music, I am sorely tempted - I had seen mention of other tablets under 180 quid, and even below 100 with Android v4).

SunWukong Sat 25-Aug-12 16:36:05

You can get some damn good shit from an unknown brand, most of them are made by the same people anyway, everyones heard of Foxcon makers of Ipads/Iphones and Wii's and 360s etc etc.

Thats where HTC came from they used to make products for other people (including the worlds first smart phones) then they just decided you know what we can do it alone, we don't need someone elses name on the front and the rest is history.

I think this is the makers of that m009s thing?
www.eken.com

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 26-Aug-12 22:02:35

Don't go cheap and cheerful, it's just not worth it. Most have terrible touch screens which don't respond very well and low end processors which means everything is frustratingly slow. Just because they run the latest version of Android does not mean they are any good. By far the best option in the lower price range is the Nexus 7. Anything else below £200 will almost certainly leave you wishing you'd spent more.

Oh, and don't get a Play book, just don't. For no other reason than that BlackBerry are not going to be around much longer (hence the price drop) as they are having several major problems, have lost their hold on every market and no one will buy them out now as it's better to wait and take the fleeing customers themselves. So there's unlikely to be any long term support for their devices including new app development.

perfectmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:42:54

have a look at
www.sweettablets.com
got a great one for my daughter!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now