Talk

Advanced search

Need a decent but cheap tablet for 7 yr old....

(20 Posts)
simpson Fri 29-Jun-12 23:41:51

Hi

My DS is 7 in August and I am thinking of asking my family to club together and get him a tablet as he does not leave my iPad alone (and it's mine!!!) He loves the maths apps, reading and of course angry birds!!

Is there a decent tablet that I can persuade my family to help buy which won't cost the earth??

Thanks!!

1sassylassy Sat 30-Jun-12 11:12:36

this has some good reviews.Whatever you buy make sure that it has a capacative screen and also that it has full access to Google play(or the Android market as it was known) as some of the cheaper tablets dont.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jun-12 11:21:32

Whatever you do avoid the super cheap knock off ones, they're a nightmare, and potentially unsafe too as they don't come with proper plug adapters, just dodgy converters.

What about something like an ipod touch or one of the android versions (Samsung do some) unless it was the bigger screen you were after. Remember that if you move away from Apple you'll have to potentially buy apps again for the other format, whereas if you went with an ipod touch if you register it to your account all of your apps will be accessible for him to use on that.

Other than that I'd just go into your local carphone warehouse/everything everywhere/PC world/CeX and have a play with the different ones they have.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jun-12 11:23:54

See I'd steer clear of that one linked as it's unbranded. I work in CeX and every single unbranded one we've had in has had problems, mainly with the web connection - we've stopped buying them in at all now as we just ended up refunding loads of them. Always check the negative reviews! smile

1sassylassy Sat 30-Jun-12 11:31:38

Bertie,I get where your coming from but the op did say cheap,your not going to get a branded tablet thats cheap,some of the Galaxy tablets are the same price as the ipad.The one I linked to is a uk seller with full seller support,she has sold several different versions and I have yet to read anything bad about her.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jun-12 11:41:42

She said cheap but decent, though.

I would just steer clear of the unbranded especially buying online, it's harder to get returns etc if something does go wrong.

If you look at the negative reviews for that tablet you'll see quite a few people have had problems specifically with the internet connection, and the seller seems quite aggressive on commenting/asking for follow up on these negative reviews. Just a quick look on PC World's website shows me that there is an Archos Arnova for £99 which I would choose a million times over an unbranded one which is imported from China. There are also quite a few to choose from at around the £100-150 mark, which is much cheaper than a new ipad.

MrsChemist Sat 30-Jun-12 11:44:41

If he's willing to wait, I expect the Nexus 7 and an updated kindle fire will be available before the end of the year.

simpson Sat 30-Jun-12 11:53:54

Thanks for the repliessmile

Bertie - I have looked at the PC world one and there is one in Argos too for £120 which seems ok but no reviews. But if I buy it from a high street shop then if there is a problem at least I can take it back iyswim.

simpson Sat 30-Jun-12 11:54:31

Mrschemist - is birthday is end of August so would need it for then.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jun-12 12:04:56

I'd probably be slightly wary of that Argos one because it's brand new, I don't recognise the brand name and it seems like a "budget" option, I don't know what they're like for electricals, but on baby stuff their very cheap car seats are naff and seem flimsy, so I don't know. But certainly it's easier to take it back there if you don't get on with it.

Capacitative just means touchscreen (had to look that up grin) so most of them will have that but I agree it's annoying if you don't have it.

GnocchiNineDoors Sat 30-Jun-12 12:05:54

What about an ipod touch? Not a tablet but smaller and cheaper

simpson Sat 30-Jun-12 12:08:25

I have thought about the iPod touch but think the screen is too small.

Jins Sat 30-Jun-12 12:08:44

I recommend Archos as long as it has a capacitive screen (not a resistive - two types of touchscreen) and as long as it can be updated. Some of the cheaper ones come with older versions of android and aren't easily updatable

1sassylassy Sat 30-Jun-12 12:14:36

That archos in PC world is not certified by Google play,so without rooting it you will not be able to access the Google play store,so I would stay away from that one

perfectmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:44:29

have a look here;
www.sweettablets.com
got a great one for my daughter

tigercametotea Tue 09-Oct-12 16:58:42

Would you be happy with buying second hand off EBay? I just bought an Asus TF101 second hand off EBay for just under £150... for my daughters as they won't leave mine alone. Its far nicer than buying a brand new cheap tablet..

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 18:05:04

Just bought a really nice one from Amazon. Lots and lots on there and you can read the feedback from other buyers.

nowwearefour Wed 10-Oct-12 13:09:09

how about this anyone got experience of this at all?

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Oct-12 13:47:46

That link is to the 'big brother' version of one linked to back in June.

Given the (few, Amazon) customer reviews I've read, it certainly seems worth considering - I know if I had the cash to spare, getting an Android v4 tablet would include that in my shortlist, esp at the price (I have an 8 GB Archos 70 tablet, bought December 2011).

1sassylassy - which the Archos may not be certified, it's really easy to get Google Play (the marketplace site) to work, and didn't need 'rooting' - I just downloaded a little 'toolbox app'.

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Oct-12 13:48:29

s/which/while (and not even using something to correct typos!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now