Talk

Advanced search

Hi-fi speak..or rather 'tinny and weak-sounding' speaker problem...

(5 Posts)
Pan Tue 25-Oct-11 21:02:13

Hope someone can pont to the answer here....one speaker of two is producing only a distant and faint noise. I swopped them round in case it was some sort of amp prob. Still the same tinnyness from the same speaker that is weak and doesn't produce the sounds on tracks that should be coming through on it. I know that speakers are a pretty simple construct. The wiring is a white one with duo-strand and I am connecting the strand with writing and grey stripes on it to the black terminals in both the amp and back of speaker, as I think is the right thing to do. Anyone experienced this? Is there as simple solution before buying a new speaker?

tia.

Ryoko Tue 25-Oct-11 23:36:39

The wire is buggered or your bass speaker has died one or the other.

Pan Tue 25-Oct-11 23:49:39

thanks ryoko - there is ineed no bass sound coming from it. Iwill swop the wiring over and see if it is the wire. If it isn't ( which I am sure it isn't) I'll look into solving the bass part of the speaker, and if it can be repelaced cheaper than buying a new speaker.

AheadlesswomancalledHorse Tue 25-Oct-11 23:51:51

If it's not the wiring it sounds like you may have a blown tweeter (although hard to judge not being able to hear it, is it really hissy or struggling with 'high' notes?), have you had it turned up really loud, has someone crashed into them?

Pan Tue 25-Oct-11 23:54:06

no, just struggling with everything! It sounds like it is playing in a tin can 10 miles away! Turned it up really high - just the same thing except louder. No. no external damage to it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now