Talk

Advanced search

Digital photo frames

(8 Posts)
notyoutoo Tue 25-Oct-11 12:26:08

I'd like to buy my parents one for Xmas but am clueless as to how they work! Could someone answer me this, is it possible to load up photos to it before giving it? All my photos are either on the laptop, sd cards or memory sticks.

Or does it have it's own sd card which the photos need to be on?!!! If so how would I get the photos I've already taken onto that sd card?!!

Sorry I'm rubbish with this, but think my parents would love having the pictures of my children and neice to show their friends!

Thanks in advance.

Ours has memory plus SD and USB slots, it's a Sony. MIL's much cheaper one has a USB slot, I think USB is the easiest, just stick photos on the stick and plug it in, that way you can easily add more photos whenever you like. The product details should tell you what slots it has. We had to buy a memory stick separately.

BadgersPaws Tue 25-Oct-11 12:39:00

It depends on the frame...

Some have their own internal memory that things can be copied onto, some work off of the internet and many will allow USB memory sticks of photos to be plugged into them.

LemonPeel Tue 25-Oct-11 12:40:10

Am interested in one of these aswell.

What sort of price should I be looking at for a decent one. Not megabucks but a good all rounder?

Sorry, ours is three years old now so I'm not up to date. Why not go and have a look at reviews on Argos or Amazon

niceguy2 Tue 25-Oct-11 14:21:38

I have to say that I've yet to see anyone use one for more than a week.

My now exGF bought me one when they first came out. It cost > £100 and it supported both SD cards and had its own memory.

The problem is that the cheap ones need to be plugged in all the time and the expensive ones last a couple of hours on battery. So where you put them is restricted to somewhere near a plug socket. Then you have to put up with an unsightly cable.

Lastly I found having the photos changing every so often quite distracting when watching TV.

In the end it went back in the box and i honestly have no idea where it is now.

I think they are nice for people who aren't very computer savvy, like my ILs, we donload their camera and move the photos to the frame when we visit. Ours and theirs are on low tables against walls so cables not a problem.

I was talking to DH about this the other day, saying sales have probAbly plummeted since the advent of tablet computers. We still like ours, the DCs quite often ask for new photos to go on it.

notyoutoo Tue 25-Oct-11 18:46:16

Thanks everyone for your advice. Have spoken to my DH who thinks my parents will love it too so I'm pretty set on it now. I appreciate that there will be a cable and it'll need to be plugged in, but honestly if you saw my parents house you'd realise it doesn't matter! The cable will just blend into all the clutter and nick nacks!!! Haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now