Talk

Advanced search

Someone has been using my yahoo to send malicious messages

(5 Posts)
latrucha Wed 19-Oct-11 11:40:58

Someone has gained access to my yahoo account and has sent everyon ein my address book rude emails as if from me. It's not bee ndoen from my computer: someone's done it remotely.

I've contacted yahoo but they don't seem interested. Is the only thing I can do to close my account and start a new one?

If so, is there any way of transferring my inbox from Yahoo?

Thanks

happyinherts Wed 19-Oct-11 11:42:48

Are you sure it's not a virus randomly sending out stuff to your email contacts.

I've seen it happen before.

BadgersPaws Wed 19-Oct-11 11:57:33

It might not actually be sent from your account just made to look like it has been. It's incredibly easy to fake the address that an email claims to be from, there's absolutely no checking or guarantee that the address an email claims to be from is who sent it.

How would they get your address book? Maybe you've replied to one of those silly "if you forward this to X people then Y will/will not happen".

However act as if your account has been hacked.

Change your password immediately.

Then, presuming you use a Windows PC, make sure that your anti-virus and anti-malware (two different things) are both up to date and run a full scan.

If you've not got anti-malware try this:
www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Then once you know you've got a clean computer change your password again.

TechnoViking Wed 19-Oct-11 11:58:24

I echo happyinherts. It's quite common virus / malware behaviour.

Are they rude emails, as in "hello such and such, you're a twat" or are they rude adverts / promotions?

latrucha Wed 19-Oct-11 11:58:55

happyinherts - how would I know if it was viral or not?

Badgerspaws - off to change my password as a start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now