Talk

Advanced search

Geocaching - which GPS?

(7 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 17-Oct-11 21:34:54

I'd like to get into geocaching with DH and our ds's (3 and 6).

We don't have a huge amount of spare cash atm so I don't want to spend more than I need to an a GPS.

Can anybody make any recommendations of what might suit us?

GypsyMoth Mon 17-Oct-11 21:36:18

I used to use my iPhone!

Strawbezza Mon 17-Oct-11 21:39:06

Get a basic model like a Garmin Etrex off ebay (probably cost around £70 or less). If you then find you are keen on geocaching, you can sell that and buy a unit with more bells & whistles, like the Garmin Oregon.

Smartphones aren't as accurate as proper GPS units, but plenty of people use them very successfully for geocaching.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 17-Oct-11 21:44:46

Neither of us have smartphones, so I think a GPS that is fit for purpose will help us to enjoy our adventures!

I'm off to have a look at the Garmins Strawbezza - thanks for the tips.

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Thu 20-Oct-11 08:20:53

We have the most basic garmin etrex and it works fine for geocaching.

prioneyes Thu 20-Oct-11 08:26:54

You really don't need anything fancy. We've been caching for years and have only ever used our smartphones. It's a really great thing to do - such fun for DC and a good ethos too. We can't believe how many great places we've discovered right on our doorstep thanks to caches. We placed one last weekend in fact smile

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1240, which worked well on the handful of occasions I've been geocaching with friends. Last time I looked it was down to 70 quid on Amazon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now