Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about new phones please!

(17 Posts)
swallowedAfly Fri 14-Oct-11 08:44:09

Ok so i need advice and opinions on what phone to get.

I've had the same LG Viewty for nearly 3 years now - it worked ok, the camera was good and i switched over to sim only cheap contract rather than get a new one. But now the screen has gone funny and it really is time for a new one so...

I want to be able to mumsnet, facebook, google stuff etc whilst out (never bothered with using web on phone before) and i want that to be simple, easy to read etc. I want a decent camera. I'm not fussed about having music on there - though thinking about it can you use youtube on a internet phone?

I really don't have a clue what to go for - everyone seems to say DON"T get an iphone but what else is there?

Please help me - i so don't want to have to trawl through loads of phones trying to make sense of things. I will be sticking with 02 if that has any bearing as i get my home broadband and phone through them at discounted rate as a mobile customer.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 08:47:40

Why should you not get an iPhone?

You can use MN, FB, google, youtube. Camera is supposed to better on the new one, the iPhone4 was frankly pants.

It is the dogs bollocks.

I know a lot of people will say that you get the same features on an Android, and that is true, but the iPhone is the market leader.

You can now text other iPhone users free. And there is a MN app.

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Fri 14-Oct-11 08:54:54

I've just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S11, and I love it! I think its the nearest thing I could have to an iPhone without it being an iPhone!. DH has an iPhone and it's pants. The phone is crap, rarely gets a decent signal. He only uses it as an iPod and for apps and games now as he has a work mobile he can use for calls.

swallowedAfly Fri 14-Oct-11 09:43:34

hmm two polar opinions! thanks grin

help!

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Fri 14-Oct-11 10:17:03

Oh no! I never disagree with MmeLindor wink. FWIW I think the phone prob DH has is more to do with network coverage rather than the actual phone. I got the Samsung on free upgrade too, so that was a big factor. I'm just patiently waiting for Tech to get his finger out and get the MN app for android!!

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 10:20:57

grin
Glaikit

I have never had problems with coverage, but heard that the iPhone4 did to begin with. Think they have sorted that.

Unless you have massive ideological objections to Apple products, get yourself down to an Apple store and have a wee play with an iPhone. Or an O2 store, then you can try out the other phones too.

iPhones are slightly more expensive than other imitations smart phones, cause they are very innovative. If you are not bothered about having the latest gadget (and I can tell from your OP that you likely aren't) then an Android will do you well.

swallowedAfly Fri 14-Oct-11 11:12:07

iphone is not actually more expensive than the samsung on 02 though they are out of stock hmm

no objections to apple - typing on my ibook and charging my ipod as we speak grin i'm also assuming if i get an iphone it will auto sync with my mac and probably this icloud business (whatever that may be) will work well.

i don't want to go into a store - spotty oik salesman do my head in.

02 have old model iphones in stock but they appear to have really crap cameras.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 11:23:42

If you have other Apple products, then go for the iPhone.

It will all be very familiar.

And yer iCloud will sync all contacts, mails etc instantaneously.

Seriously, you would be daft to go for anything else.

DH has the iPhone4 and the camera is crap.

The new one is just out this week, I would wait and get it.

crockydoodle Fri 14-Oct-11 11:42:39

I have an HTC Desire S. It does all the things you want. I use it to read emails, check the news, weather, facebook, mumsnet, fm radio, play games, shop with amazon, reserve stuff at argos, shop at tesco, read on the kindle app, check hotukdeals, barcode scanner, sky+, take photos and also use it as a pedometer amongst many other things.
It takes hd video too.
Half the price of iphone and I didnt have to buy any special chargers or connectors too because it uses a usb connection.
I can also put music on it from itunes using a program which is free to download, called itunes agent.

crockydoodle Fri 14-Oct-11 11:45:32

Forgot to say, you can also use youtube on my phone.

SadGeek Fri 14-Oct-11 11:51:08

Said it before, but if you want a phone with a decent camera look at the Nokia N8. Best camera phone bar none.

Can also do Facebook, Internet, etc, etc.

You can get it quite cheaply as it has been out for about a year.

oohermrs Fri 14-Oct-11 11:51:44

I have an iphone 4 - its great, can do everything apart from make the tea, but don't think they are 'all that'. DS is getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 as he thinks they are better than the iphone. Rory 'posh surname I've forgotten' on BBC says they are the only serious competitor to the new iphone 4S that Apple worry about.

swallowedAfly Fri 14-Oct-11 12:06:51

mmm good sales pitch from crocky.

i know this is reverse snobbery really but the fact that everyone seems to have an iphone is making me not want to get one.

crockydoodle Fri 14-Oct-11 13:00:15

I dont think iphone is better than my HTC. I dont think my HTC is better than an iphone. They both do much the same. You are just paying a premium for the apple product. Its a bit like comparing the apple mac with a pc.

swallowedAfly Fri 14-Oct-11 13:05:20

oooh!

there is no comparing a mac to a pc. you almost had me there crock!

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 13:06:50

Haven't used a HTC but I agree that there is probably not much in it.

I think that you pay a premium for Apple, but not just for the name, but for the research and development.

Whether the other companies admit it or not, Apple does lead the way.

And the after sales service is - as you would expect from a premium brand - top notch.

It really depends what is more important to you. Apple is innovation and style. Android is better value for money.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 13:09:43

For example this

Siri

If you ask any phone this question:

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

bet you the only one that would answer this way, is an iPhone 4S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now