Talk

Advanced search

htc sensation data usage

(4 Posts)
kid Thu 13-Oct-11 21:24:04

I'm clearly being a bit thick but I'll ask the question anyway. If I have enable WiFi (and entered my wep code, why is my phone showing I've used 80mb of data?
I don't even have a sim card inserted yet so surely I can't actually have used any data on my plan? I hope I've not used that much anyway as I'be only had the phone a few hours!

niceguy2 Fri 14-Oct-11 08:39:20

Using wifi, you still use "data". But the data will not be counted towards your allowance from your service provider.

So for example, if you get 500MB from your mobile provider, this only ticks once you are not on Wifi.

What you are probably seeing is the amount of data in total you are sending/receiving rather than what you actually want to know which is how much "3G/mobile data" you are using.

Try downloading an application called 3G Watchdog. I've used that in the past and it can record what is sent via wifi & what is sent via 3G.

Hope that helps

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 08:44:17

And that is why it's good to post in Geeky Stuff rather than Chat. smile

Thanks for the demonstration.

kid Fri 14-Oct-11 12:08:48

Thanks niceguy, I'll look for that app once I register the sim.
Any recommendations of updates I Gould switch off? I think I read I shouldn't enable the location app as it constantly updates and downloads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now