Talk

Advanced search

Ok so who is excited about their new shiny iPhone arriving tomorrow

(26 Posts)
starshaker Thu 13-Oct-11 17:54:10

Mine is at the local depot waiting to be delivered tomorrow, cant wait smile

MotherPanda Thu 13-Oct-11 17:55:31

me... but its the old 3gs. Just as excited though!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Thu 13-Oct-11 17:57:54

Not me. I am too busy being highly pissed off that IOS5 has wrecked my phone and the associated update appears to be doing the same to my MacBook. 4 iPhones and countless updates and this is the first time it's gone tits up.

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 17:59:26

What happened GML?

GuillotinedMaryLacey Thu 13-Oct-11 18:14:21

Don't know sad Plugged iPhone in to update as usual. It did its stuff then told me there was an error and it couldn't restore from the back up and when I looked the back up didn't exist.

Not usually a problem, I only care about my photos but I had previously tried to update the Mac OS for iCloud and now my iPhoto album is corrupted. I have iPhone and iPhoto back ups but from September and it's been a heavy month for photos sad

AncientsOfMuMu Fri 14-Oct-11 10:25:03

Mine has just arrived and is sat waiting to be unwrapped. Even the box looks exciting!

<sad geek emoticon>

I really must do some work first...

GuillotinedMaryLacey Fri 14-Oct-11 10:27:03

Bugger work, unwrap it!

AncientsOfMuMu Fri 14-Oct-11 10:35:25

I've taken the cellophane off

<drools>

FreeButtonBoo Fri 14-Oct-11 10:42:20

ouch poor you GML.

Not much help now but might help some one else.

I always do each step of the update independently. So:
Sync iPhone manually. Unplug
Update Mac software.
Update iTunes
then plug iPhone and check for updates of iOS
download new ioS for iPhone (not download and update at the same time)
and only then update ioS onto iPhone.

Takes longer but you limit the chances of an intermediate step fucking up your phone. I was v worried as it restored all my factory settings as part of the update but I haven't lost any data in any of my apps (phew!)

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 11:49:26

Can someone who's getting/got the new iphone tell me if Siri can translate?

So if I told it to "translate are you in pain to polish" would it do it?

I'm thinking this could be really good for work.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 11:51:56

LOL.
I've got to wait as mine is an upgrade and I can only do it over the phone for technical reasons. Next week apparently.

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:08:56

I just tried it - it offeres to do a web search then takes you to Google translate - so not really a huge advantage, you could have done that anyway. I atually can't see the point of Siri really - if I want to know the weather, I just hit the "Weather" button anyway. I did tell Siri what I thought of it, and it told me off for using bad language (there may have been an F in there...)

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 13:12:01

Can you customise Siri's voice? I don't want a servile female.

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:12:18

Re backing up, the only thing I am paranoid about is my photo album, so every time I've taken a batch I manually copy them into another folder (which then updates into my Photoshop album, which is backed up on an external drive - paranoid, moi? that'll be cos DD1 lost a year's worth when she hadn't backed up her laptop and it crashed irretrievably)

My iOS 5 update did tell me I'd lost all data/photos/music but then it somehow came back again when I restored - all may not be lost yet?

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:12:50

Female? Mine's a bloke! Patronising git, couldn't see how to customise so I've turned him off.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 13:21:31

Interesting... I'm sure the Siri in the promo video was female.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 13:22:10

I want Sean Bean as my Siri.

mistlethrush Fri 14-Oct-11 13:25:08

Is that what the extremely long queue outside the orange shop was about when I drove past on the way to school (at 7.50am)?

AncientsOfMuMu Fri 14-Oct-11 13:28:29

Ive just asked Siri to find Mumsnet, and he did!
Not all bad then grin

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 13:29:16

bless him. Ask him to pick his underpants off the floor.
I bet he can't do that.

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:40:04

Naively I thought I'd just pop into town with DD1 after dropping DD3 at preschool, got to the O2 shop to see a huge queue. Joined, and to be fair they were switched on, giving out free muffins/soft drinks and they allocated you a slip of paper with the colour/size that you wanted so you knew you were guaranteed to get it (when they ran out of slips that was all they had).

Then Carphone Warehouse man came along, said he could match the o2 existing customer deal, had phones in stock and no queue - so I left the other muppets queueing and got my phone. Went to 2 banks, popped into Next to do a refund, went back to car park, passing the queue, and saw that I still wouldn't have been at the front if I'd stayed there like the woman behind me!!

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:40:56

I'd like Yoda to be my Siri, "Weather you want? Rain it will"

MrsStephenFry Fri 14-Oct-11 13:43:21

Pfft to the magical Siri. I've had voice recognition, voice searching etc on my androids for over a year. Its the emperors new appley clothes!

niceguy2 Fri 14-Oct-11 16:40:30

I'd really like Siri just for the ability to say "Create a reminder that I need to do x when I get to work"

Quite often I need to make reminders as its the only way my swiss cheese brain can function and typing them in is always a real pain.

Can someone tell me if the reminders works well like that? I'm struggling to justify the cost at the moment! smile

SeveredHeadsDragonTheFloor Fri 14-Oct-11 17:44:57

Pfft, I've had voice recognition in my car for the last year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now