Talk

Advanced search

samsung galaxy s2 - help???

(18 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Thu 13-Oct-11 08:40:23

I've got a new phone - the samsung galaxy s2 but there are two issues:

I now have multiple listings for contacts as I've copied them over from other phone so for Lisa I have 3 listings but there is no disctintion between them to say which is her mobile no. I've sent a text to people this morning but I have no idea whether I've sent it to their mobiles!

The other is I have a number of icons at the top left of the screen that arent in the manual and I want to get rid!

Help anyone?

smileitssunny Thu 13-Oct-11 08:46:38

I'm afraid I can't help but will be watching with interest as my S2 should arrive tomorrow - I could well have the same problem!

Snorbs Thu 13-Oct-11 15:41:12

In the contacts listing you can have multiple entries depending on where the contact info has come from. So, for instance, if you've set up Facebook on it then it will be getting contact info from there. It will also have contact info from your old phone. What you need to do is tell the phone a) which contact entries are for the same people, and b) what each kind of phone number is.

Let's say you've got two entries for Jo Bloggs, one from Facebook and one from your old phone. Go into the contact lists and press on one of the Jo Bloggs entries. It doesn't matter which one. Then press the menu button (the one that lights up bottom left) and press "Join Contact". Now choose the other Jo Bloggs entry. It will link the contact information from both of those into a single listing.

If you've got lots and lots of contacts then it can take a bit of time to go through all the entries and link them but once it's done you've got all the information about Jo Bloggs in one place.

If you accidentally join the wrong contacts, choose the contact, press menu and select edit, and then scroll down and press on the "joined contacts" bit. That will then give you a list of all the contacts joined to this one. Press the red minus sign to delete the join.

To change the contact information type (eg, to show "work" or "mobile" or "home" etc) press on a contact, press the menu button, and press edit. Under the bit where the phone number(s) are listed you'll notice that the box to the left of the actual number (probably saying something like Work or whatever the default is) is grey. You can press on that grey button and choose "mobile" or "fax" or whatever. You can add additional phone numbers by pressing the green plus sign to the right of where it says Phone. You can do the same kind of thing for email addresses, too, so you can distinguish between a friend's personal and work email accounts.

Finally, the icons on the top left of the screen are notifications. They're there to tell you that something's happened that you might be interested in - the battery's fully charged, or you've got an email, or there's an update for one of your apps etc. Press on those icons and then drag your finger all the way down the screen. You should be able to pull down the notification area at which point you'll see a screen saying Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS etc across the top and then a list of Notifications. You can turn the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc on and off from here as well as pressing on any of the notifications to get more information. Or, if you just want to clear all the current Notifications, press the Clear button (on the right, underneath the Auto Rotation icon).

Hope this helps.

AuntieMaggie Thu 13-Oct-11 19:22:11

Thanks smile

I may be being dim but i cant go onto one of the contacts and click on the menu

Snorbs Thu 13-Oct-11 19:49:19

Have you found the menu button? It's the button at the bottom left below the screen and to the left of the home button.

It might only light up for a while (you can change how long it lights up for in the settings) but even if it's not lit up you can still press it.

AuntieMaggie Thu 13-Oct-11 20:01:04

yes but when i click on the contact it takes me into it and theres no option on that menu

Snorbs Thu 13-Oct-11 20:20:10

When you choose a contact from the list and press the menu button, what options does it give you?

AuntieMaggie Fri 14-Oct-11 08:22:13

If I press and hold the contact I get: edit, delete, send contact info, add to black list, send namecard via, print namecard

If i press and go into it I get edite, delete, send namecard via, black list settingd, print namecard

Snorbs Fri 14-Oct-11 09:28:23

That's odd. I definitely get the "Join Contact" option. I wonder if there is some general phone setup difference between yours and mine.

If you go to Setup, then choose "Accounts and Sync", do you have a Google account listed under "Manage Accounts" and, if so and you press on it, is "Sync Contacts" ticked? Are there any other accounts listed alongside the Google one?

Katisha Fri 14-Oct-11 09:31:23

Is it better than an iPhone then? I will be in the market for a smartphone soon.

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 09:34:51

I'd like to join Katisa's hijack please - Snorbs, is it good? DP needs a new smartphone soonish and I've heard good things about this.

AuntieMaggie Fri 14-Oct-11 10:04:42

Snorbs - I found the problem... never trust a man! DP transferred the contacts from my old phone but it turns out he left them on the sim so now I've actually transferred them I get the join contacts option! Thank you for your help.

So far I like it - DP has an iphone and he's annoyed at problems he gets with itunes and the other software sometimes - when he tried to upgrade to the new software the other night it wiped everything off his phone and he couldn't use it.

It won the phone of the year award so has to be good.

Snorbs Fri 14-Oct-11 10:15:07

Ah, right - I imagine the contacts stored on the SIM are so basic and limited that the phone couldn't do anything clever with them. Glad it's sorted.

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 10:18:13

I think I want one... but there's nothing wrong with my phone and I'm not silly enough to sabotage my phone just because I like a shiny new one.

Snorbs Fri 14-Oct-11 10:33:43

Katisha/Trills, I'm very happy with my Galaxy S2. I dunno if it's "better" than an iPhone. I suspect that depends a lot on what you want to use it for and what's important to you.

I've played around with someone else's iPhone 4 and it's a nice piece of kit but I found the screen quite small and things like not being able to replace the battery and not being able to add a memory card quite limiting. I've also seen a lot of iPhones with cracked screens for some reason. The Galaxy S2 (and some other Android phones) use "Gorilla glass" which is particularly strong and scratch resistant. And iTunes on Windows is bloody horrible.

On the other hand, if you have an Apple store nearby then they give excellent after-sales service (which is part of the reason Apple kit is so expensive). And there are a lot more add-ons available for iPhones than there are for the Galaxy S2. If you want a Hello Kitty speaker dock then you'll find one that works with iPod/iPhone but it's unlikely you'll find one that will take any Android phone.

I think the iPhone software is a bit more polished than a lot of Android stuff but it also tends to be more restricted in what it can do. As a wild generalisation, Apple kit works extremely well provided you use it in the way that Apple (and, in particular, Steve Jobs RIP) thinks you should use it. If you want to do things a bit differently then you're boned. Android is a bit less slick overall but it does offer a lot more flexibility in how you can use it and what you can do.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 14-Oct-11 11:48:55

I love mine (but then have no experience with anything else).
The screen is LOADS better than my bloke's iphone4.

AuntieMaggie Fri 14-Oct-11 12:18:35

I'd been due an upgrade for a while and the whole blackberry thing prompted me to pull my finger out so I'm glad I did!

smileitssunny Tue 25-Oct-11 18:58:35

Snorbs thank you for your excellent tech support! I am loving my first smartphone. Especially the internet, skype video calls and awesome camera.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now