Talk

Advanced search

iPod classic or iPod touch?

(9 Posts)
Magneto Wed 12-Oct-11 08:40:07

I have an 80gb iPod classic. I love it, I've had it for it must be nearly 4 years now and it's great (lpoking a bit worse for wear but still works fine...even after ds puked on it!!!) I think I paid £120 for it.

Dh has mentioned more than once that he would like an iPod of his own so I'm looking to get him one for Christmas and was originally planning on getting a classic like mine. However they only do 160gb ones for about £170, it doesn't need to have that much space.

So I looked at the iPod touch, and for a similar price you can only get about 8 or 16 gb which isn't enough (can't remember which sorry).

So in your opinion, should I stick with the classic or pay some more for a bigger iPod touch? Is the iPod touch like the iPod in an iPhone because I really don't like the iPod in my iPhone.

I need pros and cons of each please.

BadgersPaws Wed 12-Oct-11 09:20:36

"Is the iPod touch like the iPod in an iPhone because I really don't like the iPod in my iPhone."

Yes it's very similar, an iPod Touch will work in pretty much the same way as an iPhone will. It looks and feels very similar. So if you hate the way an iPhone works you're not going to get on with a Touch.

The big advantage of the Touch compared to the Classic is that it can do so much more. You can fill it with apps and browse the internet on it, which you can't do with a Classic.

However the Classic just has so much space and a massive battery life.

So I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they're quite different in my eyes, different enough for me to justify owning both smile

Magneto Wed 12-Oct-11 10:20:46

Ok so now I'm leaning towards the iPod touch if you can access the Internet from it. I have to remember to keep thinking about what dh might like an not what I like grin

BadgersPaws Wed 12-Oct-11 10:29:40

"Ok so now I'm leaning towards the iPod touch if you can access the Internet from it"

Only from a WIFI connection though, so within your house all is well but out and about you're dependent on hotspots.

An iPod Touch is pretty much an iPhone without the phone (and some other differences, in particular the camera on an iPod Touch sucks, it's worse than the one on the original iPhone). You've got an iPhone, you know what it can do and how it "feels", the Touch will be very similar.

Interesting the new iPod touches now have a battery life that beats an iPod Classic (40 hours vs. 36 hours) . However that's probably just sat there playing music and doing nothing else. If you mix that in with other things, even just flicking through your music then you'll get a lot less out of it. Where as an iPod Classic can't really do that much other than just play music so you'll typically see a higher battery life.

Ponders Wed 12-Oct-11 10:35:27

you can get a reconditioned 'like new' 80gb Ipod classic on ebay

I've been looking because DS2 wants one for Christmas; am a bit dubious though confused...although they don't all come from Hong Kong!)

MaryBS Wed 12-Oct-11 10:38:14

We bought DD a refurbed Ipod touch from this website:

www.studentcomputers.co.uk

It was DD's birthday last week, it cost £69 for a 3rd generation one and DD is really really pleased with it. The website was recommended by people on moneysavingexpert.

crockydoodle Wed 12-Oct-11 11:15:47

My son and I both have 8 gb ipod touches and I find 8 gb enough for me. If I run out of space, I can select which music I want on it very easily from Itunes. the big advantage of it is being able to use apps to entertain kids or yourself while waiting for a bus, hospital appointments, dentist, etc. You can get kindle app on it and read books, access facebook, order tesco groceries, check the news, weather, look up dictionaries, translate phrases, look at the stars, play angry birds.
No contest for me - ipod touch

MaryBS Thu 13-Oct-11 13:52:46

DD said Ipod touch, no contest, because the classic only plays music. She loves the apps you can download and play. And I was amazed at how cheap they were! Angry birds 69p (or demo version for free), Uno is another addictive game, an electronic version of the card game, also 69p!

bintofbohemia Thu 13-Oct-11 13:59:39

I've got this 32gb Touch - it was the cheapest one I could find, and I got it via a cashback website and got tesco points so it worked out quite well.

I can't say enough good stuff about it, I was gutted when my classic died but this is brilliant. Love the apps and being able to access the internet on it. In fact I've hardly used it as an actual iPod for listening to music on! Only downside is that it's turned me into an Apple convert and now I'm really coveting an iPad...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now