Talk

Advanced search

laptop wont upload / read DVD

(10 Posts)
twankie Wed 12-Oct-11 08:20:18

my laptop won't allow me to copy over a recorded programme onto my desktop. Work copied the programme onto DVD - they have a licence and I need to upload it onto my desktop to use as a student resource..and it won't even allow me to read it!

It plays okay on our TV at home..I watched it last night..but on the laptop, windows media player opens and it s just a blank screen with th play/ff/rw buttons visible..but nothing happens when I tap these.

Any ideas?

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Oct-11 08:22:08

What is the region setting on your laptop?

I had one that wouldnt play and found that I had my laptop set to read/play region 1 [we are region 2]

It may be that.

BadgersPaws Wed 12-Oct-11 09:27:55

It depends exactly what work have given you....

What files are on the disc when you put it onto your computer?

Snorbs Wed 12-Oct-11 09:59:03

Can your laptop read any other DVDs?

twankie Wed 12-Oct-11 11:46:55

yes..it can read other DVDs...as to files it says 'unknown' and Chapter 1' when the library comes up...but nothing happens when I click on either of them..do I need to download/use another program to open them do you think..other than Windows media player..and how might I do this?

BadgersPaws Wed 12-Oct-11 12:30:28

Exactly what files are on the DVD and exactly what are you copying onto your desktop?

Use Windows Explorer to see the actual files. I'm trying to work out if they've given you a single video file or an actual standard DVD.

twankie Wed 12-Oct-11 17:17:37

oh..it's a recorded BBC4 programme.. they recorded/downloaded it from iplayer I guess onto a blank DVD disk and that's what I have..it's one episode of the series..so only one programme to be used for teaching purposes..and am trying to get it onto my laptop so I can them upload it on to a module study site for the students to see... does that make sense?

BadgersPaws Wed 12-Oct-11 19:35:18

Mmm, I don't know how they've done that, I didn't think that iPlayer could burn to DVD.

As said above put the DVD into the computers drive and use Windows Explorer to have a look at it. Quite literally what files does it show?

twankie Thu 13-Oct-11 07:34:55

Hi Badger.. sorry but I am a comlete ideiot when it comes to technology..where would I get that info about what files it shows? It doesn't seem obvious as although laptop says'reasing', it's not clear exactly what it is reading ... I think I might need basic ABC steps...

BadgersPaws Thu 13-Oct-11 16:47:22

Put the DVD into the drive in the computer.

Open up Windows Explorer (The Windows Key and E) and navigate to the drive. It'll probably be D: or E: and might even be named DVD or something similar.

Click on it.

What files does it show up as having?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now