Talk

Advanced search

help me help me tape telly stuff

(19 Posts)
Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:18:23

Wow, I never knew this section existed!

In the olden days, I had a video recorder and a tv and I could record stuff.

Now I have a big tv (courtesy of dh) and a dvd player (do they even record?) and I can't tape stuff I want to watch (odd films at 2 in the morning).

Can anyone advise me what I need to get? It's needs to be the simplest thing imaginable.

Thank you.

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 14:19:16

Do you have sky/virgin or the like??

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:21:19

No. Only the telly with all those funny channels.

Snorbs Tue 11-Oct-11 14:40:08

You want a FreeView+ box. Note the "+". These are also known as Freeview recorders and PVRs.

This is a box that plugs into your aerial and your TV and records TV programmes you choose onto a built-in hard disk. The bigger the hard disk (measured in gigabytes, or GB) the more you can record. A 500GB Freeview+ box will record around 250 hours of TV. I've heard that Humax is a good brand for this kind of thing.

These things are a lot easier to set up to record a programme than video recorders used to be. A FreeView+ box will show you a TV guide and you just choose which programs you want to record (most will only record one programme at a time, but some of the more expensive ones will record two different programmes simulteneously). They'll also allow you to easily set them up to record any and all showings of a particular series for instance.

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:41:13

Thanks snorbs.

What one should I get?

When you say aerial, you surely don't mean on the roof?

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 14:41:18

You can buy freeview boxes with a recorder included, or just a recorder/hard drive thingy if you already have freeview.
I think... smile

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:42:08

I don't know if I have freeview. What is it?

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 14:45:56

What snorbs said!!

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 14:46:22

Are you digital yet?? Where in the country are you??

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:48:11

I'm in the SE. Yes, think we are digital.

snice Tue 11-Oct-11 14:53:31

check out the gadget show best buys

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 14:55:35

Then you must using some sort of digital receiver to receive the signal. If there is no box then it is probably built into the tele, and yes your aerial should also be plugged in! In that case you could just buy a hard drive. Will have a look now.

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:56:05

Thank you.

What I would really like would be someone to say: Go and get X and I will.

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 14:57:07

thanks, poorbut, this is what happens when you absent yurself from all technological involvement for a few years..

Snorbs Tue 11-Oct-11 15:02:09

Sorry, I meant "aerial cable". The box itself will be about the same size as a DVD player and you'll want it to be near to your TV as you'll need to be able to point its remote control at it.

I can't really advise on which one to get, though. I've heard that Humax is good at this sort of thing but I don't own one so it's not something I can give a personal recommendation on. I've set up a PC to do this kind of stuff because I'm a geek and like making life hard for myself I like being able to tinker.

Incidentally, you might see adverts for FreeView+ HD boxes. The "HD" means it can record the relatively small number of High Definition channels that are available. Personally I wouldn't bother as I'm not sure the small increase in picture quality is worth the fairly large increase in price.

poorbuthappy Tue 11-Oct-11 16:13:59

I can't recommend one because I don't have one. Sorry. Have you looked at the link?

Hullygully Tue 11-Oct-11 16:16:45

i will do, many thanks.

amicissima Tue 11-Oct-11 18:14:43

Look for a dual receiver so that you can either record one channel and watch another, or record two channels at once (and, possibly, watch a third on TV!).

Also look for program information. I had an old Freeview box that gave 2 weeks, but the 'feed' contract stopped (with the Freeview box company, not the customer) and we now only get now and next. The Humax ones seem to offer about a week which is much easier for recording as you just go to the program and press 'record', rather than having to add it manually.

You can get Freeview boxes in lots of places, inc Tesco and the above information should be on the box.

jamaisjedors Wed 19-Oct-11 22:31:27

OK I will say go and get this one - humax - I set it up in about 10 minutes and it's super easy to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now