Talk

Advanced search

icloud and ipod touches

(5 Posts)
friendly Tue 11-Oct-11 12:58:37

Hello - yet another question for the geek squad! My ds is desperate to get an ipod touch with his birthday money. He could just about afford an 8gb. An apple friend of mine said that should be fine because of icloud. I didn't get a chance to get her to explain what that meant. Could somebody kindly explain the cloud to me and if an 8gb would be ok? thank you very much again

BadgersPaws Tue 11-Oct-11 15:06:10

iCloud is basically storage out there somewhere on the internet. So you've got some space that's available for you to use to store photos, apps and music.

However the first problem is that you don't get much space. 5gb is free (so smaller than than Touch) but you can buy more starting from an extra 10gb for £14 a year (stop paying and the space goes away). On the plus side things you buy from iTunes (e.g. music and Apps) don't take up any of that space and are stored there for you.

However the kicker seems to be that the iPod will still want to download things from the Cloud to access them, and downloading will take up space. So if the iPod is full and you want to play Angry Birds which you bought before then you'll need to delete some things to make room. And this is nothing that you can't do right now with a PC. iCloud makes it easier as you don't need to plug in to do it, but it's the same juggle that those of us with small devices have always had to do.

So it's not as if the cloud is some magic space that will just make anything you've every bought seamlessly available.

And of course all of this will only work when your child is at home and has a WIFI connection. Once you've downloaded something from iCloud onto the iPod you've got it but if you're out and about you're "stuck" with what's on it.

Is 8gb enough? Well I've got about 1500 high quality songs and 14 apps on my 16gb iPod Touch. But it will vary enormously depending on what you want to put on it, for example video will really chew up the space. Even Apple seem to have stopped giving guidelines for how much you can fit on each iPod, it's just so variable as to be hard to judge.

niceguy2 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:20:23

I think for a child it's fine. 8GB whilst small by modern standards is still enough to put a large amount of games/music/apps on. Like Badgers says, the amount will vary according to the size of the games/music/apps.

My DS is 10 and he has a 8GB Touch and is happy with it. The only time we've struggled for space is when putting movies & TV shows on it.

But hey, kids need to learn the art of compromise and making do! lol

friendly Fri 14-Oct-11 12:20:18

Thank you Badgerspaws and Niceguy. I think you are right Niceguy re the compromise and making do. I think if I was 10 I would be more than happy with the 8gb.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 21:15:53

Agree with Niceguy and Badgerspaws.

Son has 8gb and it is fine. He has a good amount of songs on there, lots of apps. He does have to delete photos and videos occasionally to make more space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now