Talk

Advanced search

Buying an indoor aerial - how do I know if it will work?

(3 Posts)
friendly Tue 11-Oct-11 12:10:07

We have a tv which we only use for dvd's. I want to turn it into a working tv but will have to buy an indoor aerial as our only aerial point is in the sitting room. How do I know if will work without buying one? they seem to have such mixed reviews? Is argos as good a place as anywhere to buy. Thank you

amicissima Tue 11-Oct-11 18:27:47

In short, you don't.

You can do a bit of Googling to find out how strong your TV signal is for your postcode. If it's strong, you've got a good chance; if it's weak you'd do better to get a splitter, possibly with an amplifier, and run an extension from your aerial socket. Or, better, get a professional to help.

I have an indoor aerial which works fairly well if I hang it out of the window in the exact position and orientation it likes, better for some channels than others: only BBC1&2, ITV and C4, really. I got it at Maplin, who assured me that they would take it back if it didn't work.

niceguy2 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:21:29

Unless you live in a very strong Freeview area then I'd forget indoor aerial's. In my experience they are practically useless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now