Talk

Advanced search

using an old iPhone as an iPod touch

(15 Posts)
housemum Mon 10-Oct-11 23:06:47

As I am weak-willed and thinking of upgrading to a new iPhone (my 3GS is out of contract as of this week smile ), my stupid question is, if I take the SIM out can I still use it to play the apps and as an iPod? Can I still sync new apps to it?

Back in the old days of games like Snake, I'm sure that when I took my SIM out of the phone it no longer did anything at all. I know I could sell my old phone on eBay or to a recycling company, but if it still plays my apps and I can stick some music on it, my DD2 would be very happy as she could have an iPod at last!

silverfrog Mon 10-Oct-11 23:09:28

I don't know re: iphone, but you can use a 3g ipad without a sim in, and it just gets on with life happily.

I don't see why not - why not try it, before you upgrade? woudl only take a minute to whip the sim out and turn back on and see if you can still access apps etc...

LemonEmmaP Mon 10-Oct-11 23:16:47

Yes, you can. We gave DH's old iPhone to DS1 last Christmas and he uses it as an iPod touch. It's hooked up to our wifi so he can use it for email as well as Internet, apps and music. It's been a big hit!

BadRoly Mon 10-Oct-11 23:23:15

LemonEmma - does it still do all the wifi stuff without the sim card then? That wouls be bloody marvellous but my old fashioned technology head cannot get round it working without a sim in blush

angelinterceptor Mon 10-Oct-11 23:28:33

Yeah my DD has my old iPhone 3G, it works fine in the house, or anywhere with free WiFi - so she can do emails, skype etc + all the games, photos, iPod etc.
The only thing it cant do is texting, and actual phone calls

Also the battery is really crap

housemum Mon 10-Oct-11 23:28:51

Fantastic! That's me convinced that I "need" to upgrade smile I was toying with the idea of buying a secondhand iPod for DD2 (just a Nano) but that would have been at least £50 for a really old one! Happily calling O2 tomorrow to get a nice shiny new phone smile Hmm, does that mean I've now wasted £60 on DD3 getting a Leappad tablet of her own, they could just play on the phone.

ItDoesntBodenWell Mon 10-Oct-11 23:29:17

Yes, I gave my old one to DD1 for this. The wifi does work, yes, and it stays as a separate phone on iTunes, so you can sync both new and old but keeps different apps on each, etc.

I will also be upgrading on Friday, so DD2 will get one now too grin

housemum Mon 10-Oct-11 23:32:40

(trying to remove SIM but haven't taken the case off it for 2 years, it appears to be rather stuck...)

ItDoesntBodenWell Mon 10-Oct-11 23:41:05

Not sure it would work without a sim actually in there, I think you get a new one with the new phone an leave the expired one in there.

housemum Mon 10-Oct-11 23:48:11

using an iPhone without a cellphone plan you need a SIM to upgrade the software etc, but I just tested my phone without the SIM and it worked OK. The only thing I will do is to see what parent settings/blocks I can put on internet access. I'll manually sync the apps to remove easy links to things like eBay & Amazon, in case she's smart enough to work out my password!

housemum Mon 10-Oct-11 23:49:22

(the new phone will have a different SIM anyway, I think it's a micro-sim now)

niceguy2 Tue 11-Oct-11 09:15:56

If you really want to be loved by DD2 then go into a T-Mobile store and ask for a free iphone microsim. They will give you a free SIM with 12 months Internet on it. The only catch is you need to top it up by £10.

So for £10, your daughter can also use it as a 3G phone too!

Oh and get your 3GS unlocked by O2 now it's out of contract. They are worth more unlocked and it should be free now you are not tied to a contract.

Are you getting the 4 or waiting for the 4S?

GraceK Tue 11-Oct-11 09:35:35

Am typing this on a original iphone with no sim. My husband upgraded his & this one is now a ipod & games consol for the children. It comes in particularly useful when on long car journeys. I also use it to access the web via wi-fi at home. (& to occassionally locate husband's new phone!)

It just takes a while to start up when turned off as it's trying to find a cell network. You also need another iphone/itunes account in order to 'pretend' to be that phone when downloading apps. Enjoy

friendly Tue 11-Oct-11 12:53:42

My son has dh's old 3g iphone and uses it for the internet. How does he download apps though? Does he need his own itunes account? Not really up on apps etc. Thank you

housemum Fri 14-Oct-11 12:57:37

Thanks for the tips - I now have my shiny new 4S smile and will have a very happy DD2 when I've shoved Miley Cyrus and JLS on my old phone (shudder)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now