Talk

Advanced search

iPod touch. Do I buy a cheaper old version or buy the newest version?

(12 Posts)
OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sun 09-Oct-11 16:09:42

Is the camera as bad as I've read? I wanted the newer version for the camera but if it's crappy then I won't bother.

Is there much difference between the old ones and the newest one?

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 16:20:45

If you want a new one but more cheaply check out the refurbished section - these have been re-done by Apple so they are shiny and good as new.

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sun 09-Oct-11 16:29:55

That's where I've been perusing. grin A few days ago they had an older version 8gb version for £119 so I thought I could keep an eye out for a similar deal. But is it worth paying out for a new one? FaceTime won't be any use as we know no one else to use it with. Is is noticeably faster or that sort of thing?

I really have no idea about geeky tech things. As you can tell. grin

GypsyMoth Sun 09-Oct-11 16:33:03

I have the new one with FaceTime/ camera

The camera Is ok. But there is a newer one coming out with gps .

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sun 09-Oct-11 16:37:22

Is the new one out soon? I don't need one with gps as it's for my DS1 but if there's a new one then hopefully the price will drop on the old ones.

Argh, decisions, decisions.

Thank you both for replying. And I didn't even need to post in Chat to get a quick reply. wink

dwpanxt Sun 09-Oct-11 16:43:09

I had the old version -bought just before the new one came out hmm -but 'twas a present and I was (and still am) delighted with it.
But I wish it had a camera.
I've seen the photos and videos and really they're not bad considering.And there are lots of apps beside facetime that you can use with a camera.

As I said ,I am still very happy with my camera-less version but would definitely opt for one another time.

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sun 09-Oct-11 16:56:35

Thanks, dwpanxt, that's just the sort of thing I needed to know. Camera one it is!

I am googling but cant find any info on when a new version is being released. Hmmm, I like being organised for Christmas and now I'm dithering whether to buy now or later.

BadgersPaws Mon 10-Oct-11 10:01:09

"But there is a newer one coming out with gps ."

No there's not, at least nothing that's been announced.

The current iPod Touch is the same one that was released last year, that's the 4th generation and is the one with the forward facing camera for Facetime.

They did announced the other week that there will now be an option to get it in White, and some people are calling that the 5th generation. But nothing inside has changed, it's the same device.

So there's no new one due just yet and there therefore won't be a price drop. The White version should be available within the next week or so and any Touch bought after that point should come with the new version of iOS installed upon it.

Putrifyno Mon 10-Oct-11 10:05:15

Beware that a lots of the new apps will only work on the version 4 software.

BadgersPaws Mon 10-Oct-11 10:15:51

"Beware that a lots of the new apps will only work on the version 4 software."

And in time more and more apps will only work on iOS 5.

iOS 4 should work on any iPod Touch from the 2nd generation (released in 2008).

However iOS 5 will only work on the 3rd generation and above (2009).

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Mon 10-Oct-11 20:49:47

Thanks, Badgers. I'll wait a few weeks to buy one then.

BadgersPaws Mon 10-Oct-11 21:05:20

The UK Apple Store is showing a shipping date of the 12th of October, and I think that might well include iOS 5, so not long to wait...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now