Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have an iPhone that they use as a wifi hotspot, also jail breaking questions

(9 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Thu 06-Oct-11 10:48:54

without having to pay for an extra data plan which allows tethering?

If so who are you with? I want to be able to get wifi to my iPad which I can currently do with my htc phone. With my htc it's nice and simple, just press the wifi hotspot button and five secs later my iPad is online.

I have read that it can also be done on an iPhone by jail breaking and then getting an app from Cydia called mywi. Has anyone done this, did it work, is it easy? If I jailbreak my phone I know the warranty, etc is buggered but I've found a jail breaking app that says you can un jailbreak it if you change your mind.

Also I've read that iPhones don't have widgets like android phones do. Are the widgets the things like my weather report on one of my home screens? If so I can cope without it I guess.

niceguy2 Thu 06-Oct-11 14:21:19

The short answer is No.

Mywi isn't free, it's $20. I did trial it and it worked (badly) once. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Iphones don't have widgets which is very annoying. Well not widgets in the Android sense. IOS5 will have "widgets" on the notification screen but its not like Android at all. You will still have the icon grid like now whenever you press the home button.

If widgets & tethering are important to you then stick to Android.

Kormachameleon Thu 06-Oct-11 14:27:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 06-Oct-11 22:06:37

I can cope without widgets but can't cope with miwi if it's unreliable. So will scrap that idea if it's not up to much. I'll have a chat with t mobile then about their plans, thanks.

OhMyGolly Thu 06-Oct-11 22:32:54

I had an iphone 4 that I gave to dp and tethering was pretty simple confused no apps required (just turned on the tethering in the settings), we are with 3 btw, they have an unlimited data plan (the one plan) which allows tethering.

I only used it a couple of times and the phone got pretty hot, but worked fine.

OhMyGolly Thu 06-Oct-11 22:36:37

I have a htc desire hd now and tbh I prefer it, it's more versatile, but if you have an ipad, I imagine an iphone would be more compatible/easier with itunes and what not.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 16:43:30

Well it looks like orange, t mobile and three Inc tethering on their data plans so now I just need to make a decision about whether to get it or a Samsung galaxy.

I do like my htc desire but the lack of memory is driving me nuts. Phone is full. I've got apps to sd and moved them across apart from six so have no idea why phone is so full. No photos or music on it. I bought a 32gb sd card which is 95% empty.

I see more iPhone apps that I'd like. But then android has google maps which is useful and google sky which is fun.

Everyone keeps saying that androids are more versatile and you can customise them more, etc but I think that's maybe too techy for me. I want a phone I can MN on, get my emails, tether my iPad to it and not have so little memory/space that I can't use the camera or download the latest upgrade. I think an iPhone might suit me more. grin

Kormachameleon Fri 07-Oct-11 17:17:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

niceguy2 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:21:25

If you are not technical and can afford an iphone, go with the iphone.

Android is more open, more flexible, more powerful. It's also often riddled with bugs, things crash, apps dont work etc.

Apple's power is that it just works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now