Talk

Advanced search

Eek!! 3 days to go. Can I get a decent Android tablet for under £200?

(6 Posts)
Spidermama Sat 24-Sep-11 20:49:13

It's for my dd who is about to become a teenager.
Must be good for homework, youtube, itunes, general surfing.
Would be great if she could also watch films and iPlayer on it.
I think 16gb would be about right.

Do these things come with a word processing app and with something similar to Power Point, or do I have to buy an app? How much to apps cost?

wellwisher Sat 24-Sep-11 20:58:54

Android tablets will run Google Apps very nicely - Google's version of MS office. There's a Word-like app, an Excel-like app and a PowerPoint-like app. They're free to use - all you need is a gmail account.

Not sure what kind of tablet you can get for £200 - wifi only ones are cheaper (and she will be less inclined to take it out of the house!).

Spidermama Sat 24-Sep-11 21:23:48

Thanks wellwisher. There are lots on amazon under 200 and some around the 200 mark for 16gb which seems quite impressive. However I'm new to this and am worried I am failing to notice something crucial and will pay for something a bit rubbish.

So far I know some important things to look for ie screen size, 16gb, wifi .... anything else?

niceguy2 Sat 24-Sep-11 23:34:02

Can you get an Android tablet for less than £200? Yes

Can you get a decent Android tablet for less than £200? No.

At that sort of price range, they will all have limitations of some sort.

Personally I'd suggest going with this one: ARCHOS 10.1

The reason being is it has a capacitive touch screen. I wouldn't get a resistive screen even if it was being given away. The Archos has an older version of Android, limited RAM (but you can get 16GB version for £204) and is likely to be obsolete very soon, if not already. But at that price range it's the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Personally I don't think these are suitable for homework at all. Tablets are good for consuming media. So watching Youtube, facebook etc. But they are poor for typing. If you have visions that your DD will type an essay on it then don't. Cos she won't.

Lastly, no they don't come with a word processing app. Your best bet is to use the Google apps but they are quite basic too.

In short £200 is a low budget for a tablet so be prepared to compromise. The Archos is good value for money as long as you are willing to accept the limitations.

Spidermama Wed 05-Oct-11 11:14:52

Well I ended up getting her an archos tablet on amazon reduced from 300 to 204. It's AMAZING! 16GB. Only problem is she's now completely addicted to it.

Spidermama Wed 05-Oct-11 11:16:21

You're right about her not being able to do homework on it niceguy. She's keeping her laptop for that purpose which screws up my plans to pass the laptop on to her younger brother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now