Talk

Advanced search

communication error with wifi printer

(2 Posts)
ConstanceNoring Thu 22-Sep-11 11:03:17

I've got MAC and a WiFi scanner/printer and almost every time I go to print something or scan something in I get 'a communication error has occurred'. I restart the printer, restart the MAC check the wireless settings, usually having to put the wireless hub password in again and hey presto it magically works.

But why does it keep 'losing' it?

The printer itself is right by the MAC, but am I right in thinking that the communication between two actually goes via the hub (pardon my ignorance), so could it be that the hub is just too far away from the MAC and printer so has difficulty connecting?

It's driving me to distraction.

BadgersPaws Thu 22-Sep-11 15:51:35

Communication will go through the router...

If the Mac is usually fine and can browse the internet without issue then the range to the Mac is fine.

If the printer were having range problems, which is possible, then restarting the Mac (which as said above should be fine with the range if normal browsing isn't a problem) wouldn't have any impact on it.

So I don't think that it's a range thing.

However that's easily testable by bringing the wireless hub up into the same room as the Mac & Printer for 5 minutes. Yes you'll loose internet connection, but you can at least test when you know for a fact that range isn't a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now