Talk

Advanced search

FB - what name to enter so I can be found?

(9 Posts)
FlubbaBubba Thu 22-Sep-11 07:00:25

I am finally succombing to Facebook (I know! It's the scurge of the earth, but I need to be on it or on twitter to use another website), so thought I would try and make an account that is totally private initially, but possibly with a view to making one where people can look me up.

So, when it comes to signing up at the very start, does the name I put in there become my FB name? And if so, is there any way of putting both names (i.e Catherine of Aragon as well as Katie Windsor!?) if I have a) changed my surname and b) become better known by my nickname?

Any tips and advice please smile

FlubbaBubba Thu 22-Sep-11 07:31:58

FBump

mranchovy Thu 22-Sep-11 08:53:13

The name you sign up with becomes your facebook name: you can only have one name. Nicknames are not allowed but this doesn't seem to be enforced.

You may be arriving too late for the party: FB has just redesigned its interface alienating many users just when Google Plus is poised to take market share. Also, many sites that use FaceBook authentication will try to interface with your FaceBook page, there is less scope to do this with Twitter and you can choose @FlubbaBubba for Catherine ofAragon.

FlubbaBubba Thu 22-Sep-11 09:37:30

Thanks mranchovy - so you think I may be better off setting up a twitter account? (I'm really not planning on using things for personal use anyway, it was more of a 'what if...' for the future)

mranchovy Thu 22-Sep-11 11:26:28

Yes, I have accounts on both which I hardly use but I find Twitter less intrusive.

CaptainNancy Thu 22-Sep-11 12:01:21

Google plus does not allow nicknames, only genuine names though, something to be mindfulof.

mranchovy Thu 22-Sep-11 12:08:45

You can put a nickname in your tagline on Google+ which will show up in searches

exexpat Thu 22-Sep-11 12:16:15

The easiest way to look someone up on facebook is using their email address, as you register that when you sign up. So anyone who knows you and has your email address can find you fairly easily (and you can get facebook to check through your email address book to see which of your contacts are on there).

FlubbaBubba Thu 22-Sep-11 13:48:25

Thank you all.

Think I might go the twitter route for now - the words "less intrusive" sound perfect for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now