Talk

Advanced search

which browser

(15 Posts)
Lottieloulou Wed 21-Sep-11 20:44:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TequillaMockingBird Wed 21-Sep-11 20:47:02

I like Chrome. Its fast and doesn't seem to crash (at least for me).

said Wed 21-Sep-11 20:49:24

Chrome is quick on my netbook so I like that, I hate Firefox on our desktop (and can't work out how to change it back blush) It stop certain sites from working properly

JoinTheDots Wed 21-Sep-11 20:51:50

I think it's a personal thing, download a couple and see what you like. I use chrome because it has the smallest navigation bar at the top and optimises space on my netbook, but use firefox at work as it has some nice downloadable add-ons which are handy for my job

Other people swear by opera, but I have yet to try it. I think they all do tabbed browsing these days which used to be a firefox thing

Lottieloulou Wed 21-Sep-11 21:07:04

StroppyDad Thu 22-Sep-11 06:40:20

Always Opera! (Where Chrome got most of their ideas and it's much quicker and less buggy) Also, great versions for mobile phones too.

www.opera.com/

TequillaMockingBird Thu 22-Sep-11 08:42:30

Lottie, no shouldn't mess anything up. The different browsers might have a bunfight over which one gets to be 'default' though, just choose 'don't bother me again' or equivalent option on the boxes that pop up.

Lottieloulou Thu 22-Sep-11 13:00:13

MyMelody Thu 22-Sep-11 13:02:25

Try Safari - much better than internet explorer

TequillaMockingBird Thu 22-Sep-11 13:33:50

I found this on how to start it on incognito automatically - tech.gaeatimes.com/index.php/archive/how-to-set-google-chrome-in-incognito-mode-as-default-in-two-steps/

Metal Thu 22-Sep-11 13:50:49

I find Chrome to be a pain if you want to change almost anything away from the default.

In my opinion, chrome does some things well, but is most useful to people that want a basic browser and aren't looking for easy customisation.

niceguy2 Thu 22-Sep-11 14:11:06

I've tried Chrome, didn't like it. It's faster but to be fair, how much faster can i expect Google to load? 1 seconds versus 1.5 seconds??? It's no big deal.

Personally I like Firefox because of all the extensions you can install. Xmarks & Lastpass are both absolute must haves. Both are free and both save my online sanity!

Lottieloulou Fri 23-Sep-11 14:03:25

niceguy2 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:21:06

Well Lastpass & xmarks are actually owned by the same company now but both have become indispensible for me.

Xmarks syncs your bookmarks and makes a copy on the Internet. So this is very useful if you use multiple computers like me. Home, work, laptop. No matter which computer I'm on, my bookmarks are the same. I add a new bookmark on one PC, the rest will get it. If I get a new computer, my bookmarks are automatically there.

Lastpass stores your passwords remotely. Sounds a bit freaky at first but their security is pretty watertight. So again, any computer you are on with Lastpass installed. You sign into the Lastpass toolbar and any sites you go on now, you can save your passwords to their servers and it will automatically fill in passwords for you. Saves you a lot of time & effort logging in and remembering a load of passwords.

You can even set it to logout of Lastpass when you close the browser or after so many minutes. So if you leave your computer, noone can come along and log into your sites as you. I love it.

StroppyDad Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:27

Interesting that Firefox's reputation for being slow may be undeserved according to this lifehacker.com/5844150/browser-speed-tests-firefox-7-chrome-14-internet-explorer-9-and-more'%20rel='nofollow

I still prefer Opera to anything else I've tried. It's fast and propbably the most secure browser. Things like Lastpass are available for Opera (although I find the in-built password manager enough for me) and Opera Link will synchonise bookmarks, searches, notes between computers - and even your mobile phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now