Talk

Advanced search

My laptop makes a rather unattractive beeping sound when it starts up; does it need fixing?

(11 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 07:22:55

It never used to make this noise sad

BadgersPaws Mon 19-Sep-11 10:20:10

Does it actually boot?

If it's a windows PC then it could be a keyboard problem, try and clean the keyboard as best as you can. For example I'd tip it upside down, then clean it with a hoover and being a bit more confident on my separate PC keyboard I'd also pop a few keys off and give it a good clean underneath.

What sort of computer is it? Is it a Mac or is it a Windows PC? The beeps can sometimes give a bit of information as to what is going on, so when exactly do they occur and what's on screen at the time?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 10:22:40

Windows, & it beeps after I press the turn it on button while nothing is on the screen

niceguy2 Mon 19-Sep-11 10:49:47

What make & model is it and how many beeps. Are they all the same duration or are some beeps longer than others?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 10:51:13

Dell Vostro 1700

6 beeps all the same

BadgersPaws Mon 19-Sep-11 11:17:12

Does it actually boot up?

The Dell support page suggests that this is a problem with the video card:
support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos200/en/mini_tower/om_en/html/trouble.htm#wp1085300

Can you do the tests described under "" here:
support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos200/en/mini_tower/om_en/html/trouble.htm#wp1081896

Hopefully you'll start the utility using the hard drive option.

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 12:27:12

OK

I did the diagnostics & now the beeps are different 5 then 3 then 4

Snorbs Mon 19-Sep-11 15:05:13

Are there any error messages on the screen before it starts loading Windows?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 15:07:04

No & it's working fine (slowish but only marginally)

Snorbs Mon 19-Sep-11 16:17:00

I think you'll need to get in touch with Dell. Different Dell models have different beep codes. I think Dell offers free email support but charges for telephone support. Have a look on Dell Support. You'll need your Dell Service Tag (an id code that will be on a sticker on the base of your laptop) and then tell them of the beeps that are happening on start-up. They'll probably ask you to run the diagnostics so if you've already done that and it didn't say anything useful then tell them that as well.

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 17:51:40

Yep - I have paid I think for 'extra' help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: