Talk

Advanced search

My laptop makes a rather unattractive beeping sound when it starts up; does it need fixing?

(11 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 07:22:55

It never used to make this noise sad

BadgersPaws Mon 19-Sep-11 10:20:10

Does it actually boot?

If it's a windows PC then it could be a keyboard problem, try and clean the keyboard as best as you can. For example I'd tip it upside down, then clean it with a hoover and being a bit more confident on my separate PC keyboard I'd also pop a few keys off and give it a good clean underneath.

What sort of computer is it? Is it a Mac or is it a Windows PC? The beeps can sometimes give a bit of information as to what is going on, so when exactly do they occur and what's on screen at the time?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 10:22:40

Windows, & it beeps after I press the turn it on button while nothing is on the screen

niceguy2 Mon 19-Sep-11 10:49:47

What make & model is it and how many beeps. Are they all the same duration or are some beeps longer than others?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 10:51:13

Dell Vostro 1700

6 beeps all the same

BadgersPaws Mon 19-Sep-11 11:17:12

Does it actually boot up?

The Dell support page suggests that this is a problem with the video card:
support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos200/en/mini_tower/om_en/html/trouble.htm#wp1085300

Can you do the tests described under "" here:
support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos200/en/mini_tower/om_en/html/trouble.htm#wp1081896

Hopefully you'll start the utility using the hard drive option.

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 12:27:12

OK

I did the diagnostics & now the beeps are different 5 then 3 then 4

Snorbs Mon 19-Sep-11 15:05:13

Are there any error messages on the screen before it starts loading Windows?

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 15:07:04

No & it's working fine (slowish but only marginally)

Snorbs Mon 19-Sep-11 16:17:00

I think you'll need to get in touch with Dell. Different Dell models have different beep codes. I think Dell offers free email support but charges for telephone support. Have a look on Dell Support. You'll need your Dell Service Tag (an id code that will be on a sticker on the base of your laptop) and then tell them of the beeps that are happening on start-up. They'll probably ask you to run the diagnostics so if you've already done that and it didn't say anything useful then tell them that as well.

KatyMac Mon 19-Sep-11 17:51:40

Yep - I have paid I think for 'extra' help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now