Talk

Advanced search

Desktop AWOL

(2 Posts)
CompleteMug Sun 18-Sep-11 19:05:24

Can anyone tell me what's happened here?
Littlest one pressed (I think) the off button whilst laptop was on, and when it was next switched on, our usual desktop screensaver was gone and in it's place the message "Active Desktop Recovery" with an option button of Restore my Active Desktop.

It's not working though, and I cannot change things. Can't do a system restore either for some reason. DH tried to access his works account (remotely) and it's failed.

Help!

cmgjh Sun 18-Sep-11 23:52:54

Hi, a quick web search found these suggestions. They seem to be written for XP but should work in other versions of windows as well (may need to select "personalize" instead of "properties"). Basically, it seems to be telling you to change your desktop background and all will be well again. Hope it is!

Active Desktop Recovery: Properties

Try the first set of directions first. If that does not work to get rid of the desktop recovery message, try the second set of directions.

Set 1:

When the Active Desktop Recovery message appears, right-click on a blank area of the screen and select Properties.
Select the option for “Desktop.”
Now, select the option that you want from the list of choices for your desktop.

Set 2:

As soon as the Active Desktop Recovery message appears, right-click on the screen and select Properties.
Select the option for “Desktop.”
Now, select the operating system from the list of choices for your desktop e.g. Windows XP Pro.
You should be able to switch the display of your desktop to any of the other options now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now