Talk

Advanced search

netbook won't start up?

(12 Posts)
JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Fri 16-Sep-11 19:52:36

I've got a basic little netbook. Had it around a year. Always run perfectly kept pretty empty and always carefully protected online, only really had it only a month, frequent scans and so on. Didn't use it for 3mnths. Finally got bb and turned it on and all its doing is running the start images over and over and never actually switches on iyswim. What can I do?

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Fri 16-Sep-11 19:53:15

*online a month

niceguy2 Sat 17-Sep-11 08:42:19

When you turn it on, tap the F8 key repeatedly about once a second. Once it's done it's power on self test then you should see a windows boot menu with various options on it.

Try choosing 'last known good configuration'.

If that doesn't work, repeat but choose 'safe mode' then do a system restore which should be an option under programs -> accessories -> System tools (I think)

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sat 17-Sep-11 19:16:34

Thank you, ill give that a go smile

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sat 17-Sep-11 19:27:22

Tried both a couple of times and it carrys on doing the same

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 17-Sep-11 19:29:58

Does it have a battery that you can remove? I don't know anything about netbooks, but if my laptop is playing up, then my last resort is to unplug it, remove the power cable and the battery and leave it for 30 seconds before putting everything back/turning it on again. It seems to re-set everything and sort out the problem.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sat 17-Sep-11 19:32:07

It does will give that a try

Naoko Sun 18-Sep-11 00:21:27

It could also be that the battery is dodgy - does it boot up normally if you take the battery out and just run it off the mains cable? If that is the case the battery needs replacing.

niceguy2 Sun 18-Sep-11 10:31:13

Sounds like it's got stuck in an update loop. My friend's laptop was like this. It tried to do an update, failed, rebooted then update....fail....reboot....and so on.

If it is that, I'd suggest calling a local IT person out to fix it. For someone competent, it shouldn't take them that long to sort.

bubbles4 Sun 18-Sep-11 11:55:49

What make and model is it?It may well have a recovery partition.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sun 18-Sep-11 20:22:42

Its an emachines en250 series model no. Kav60

Dps brother is knowledgable in this area but a twat can't see we don't have the means to simply replace "a cheap shitty netbook with a decent pc" and everytime we ask he says its not worth fixing. Never get to say what's wrong hmm

bubbles4 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:57:00

Have a read here, if it has a recovery partition you may be able to get it back to how it was when it came out of the box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now