Talk

Advanced search

embarrassingly thick Q re writing notes on computer to later synch onto iPhone

(9 Posts)
ErnesttheBavarian Thu 15-Sep-11 08:07:32

Only ever written notes directly onto the 'notes' app that was already on iPhone.

But if I want to write a lot, it would be much quicker to write on computer then synch.

But how do I do that? In word? Oh blimey, I'm sure this is v. easy and an embarrassing Q. Can't ask dh as he's at work and he would mercilessly that the p. So can you save me from the dripping scorn and sarcasm and save me bags of time too? Thanks.

BadgersPaws Thu 15-Sep-11 09:49:02

If you've got iOS 4 + then you should be able to do that, with older versions I think that Notes is pretty much a closed box.

However even with 4+ it looks pretty limited, if you're on a Mac you can sync your notes with Mail and on a PC with Outlook (if you use it). It should just be a syncing option within iTunes when you connect the iPhone.

You can also sync your notes with various online providers such as Google, instructions for that are here:
support.apple.com/kb/HT4191

However it might actually be best to use something like this about which I've heard good things:
www.evernote.com/

Basically your notes are stored out in the cloud and then you download the appropriate app to access it from where you want. So you'd download an iPhone version for your phone and the PC or Mac version for your desktop and they'd all access the same set of notes online.

niceguy2 Thu 15-Sep-11 09:52:04

Badgers beat me to it. I use Evernote and its fantastic. One of the few cloud type applications I've ever felt the desire to pay for although the free version will probably be sufficient for most.

I have this app and now have everything from work minutes to favourite recipes on it. Doesn't matter which PC/Mac/phone I am using, all my notes automatically follow me around.

Fantastic! And I can't wait until they sort out Skitch into it so i can annotate pictures too.

ErnesttheBavarian Thu 15-Sep-11 10:05:57

ok, i am truly a fool. I have the evernote app on my phone. I am sat at my macbook. I don't know how to write a note to get it onto my phone. ok, i will try and find evernote instructions. could have got it all done 10 times over on a bloody pad and paper. sigh. maybe I should apply to return to the 1970's

niceguy2 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:43

basically just make sure your phone application is using the same username/password as your macbook one. Then whenever you type notes into Evernote, make sure you either wait til it syncs or hit the sync button.

Then on the phone it should just sync when you have a wifi connection. If you pay then i believe it will sync over 3G as well.

BadgersPaws Thu 15-Sep-11 10:17:14

"If you pay then i believe it will sync over 3G as well."

Does the free Evernote not just sync over 3G, as far as the app is concerned it's just an internet network connection so would it really differentiate?

BadgersPaws Thu 15-Sep-11 10:26:43

I can't test the iPhone version but I can test another mobile version of Evernote and it does seem perfectly happy syncing over both WiFi and 3G.

I can see me using this a lot more now smile

niceguy2 Thu 15-Sep-11 11:19:49

Apologies, it does. There's a setting which says "Sync on wifi only" which is set to "ON" on my phone. I thought this meant it doesn't sync unless it's on wifi....i'll go back to sleep now! grin

The app rocks and its just one of those things which just works, hence my mistake.

FreeButtonBee Sun 18-Sep-11 12:01:10

I LOVE evernote; it's awesome. It's fab for travelling - I upload all my flight and hotel info onto it; restaurants to try, places to visit. You can also take photos of things and it will READ the words in the picture. Yes, including handwriting! So I take photos of articles in the paper or magazines, rather than tearing them out and I can search for the stuff in the article later. Or take a photo of a shopping list that I've scribbled out.

Worth reading the tips and tricks to really learn how to get the best out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now