Talk

Advanced search

Few months ago neighbour logged onto to my wireless internet. will she still be able to do it now??

(9 Posts)
chocolatespiders Wed 14-Sep-11 21:55:44

I gave my permission and the wireless key number so she could use my internet, she typed the wireless key in it was not written down. She was desperate and I wanted to help.

I then forgot about it but I am now wondering if her ipad would have saved my wireless key number and she is still using it?? Just worried it will use up my allowance of internet and know nothing technical.

GlaikitFizzog Wed 14-Sep-11 21:58:10

My iPod remembered my mums key. If she ticked the box to make it one of her recognised networks then yes she could still be using it.

Ask her if she is using it and mention something about high usage levels or something. If she is using it ask her to delete the network.

chocolatespiders Wed 14-Sep-11 22:02:16

Thankyou for your reply..
Would there be somewhere on my computer to change the wireless key number?

onagar Wed 14-Sep-11 22:03:28

You could change the key number it in your router and in your own computer. If you know what router you have someone will tell you exactly whereabouts it is stored.

Your router should also (depending on the model) show you who is connected.
For example this one has a "Home Network' section.

To get into the router if you haven't before you would normally have to type something like http://192.168.1.254/ into the browser.

RustyBear Wed 14-Sep-11 22:03:50

Yes, she could still be using it, my iPad does occasionally ask me to re-input the number, I think usually after I've had to reboot the live box, but it hasn't done it for a few months now.

GlaikitFizzog Wed 14-Sep-11 22:07:06

I have sky broadband and the key is on a sticker on the router, I don't think I can change mine. Give your broadband provider a call, if it can be done they will talk you through it.

Indaba Wed 14-Sep-11 22:07:12

when our wireless is down it asks if I want to roam......my neighbours wireless nickname is "big fat willy boy" grin

mumatron Wed 14-Sep-11 22:15:17

After reading a thread on here, Dp has changed ours to 'surveillance van 2'

Ds's ipod remembers our wireless info so I should image her ipad probably will too.

EvaLongoria Thu 15-Sep-11 11:00:48

You can change your wireless key by setting a password. Not all people use the wireless key especially if it is placed somewhere where you cant always have access. But by setting your own password it will be used to access it. For example I have a BT home hub and use the wep key found on the back. If I have someone over and they wish to connect their laptop/phone they can just look at the back. However like my inlaws who also uses a home hub my FIL has a password on his. Therefore if I am there and I have a new device that I wish to connect and he is not in I cannot connect at all until he comes home to give me the password. Even though the wep key is at the back as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now