Talk

Advanced search

I want to be able to use the internet from my sofa

(5 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 10-Sep-11 07:56:35

but it seems it's too far away from the wireless router thingy.

Is there anything I can do to boost the signal? I don't think we can move the thingy cos it's plugged into a phoneline, isn't it?

It must be old though by now, probably 5+ years. Maybe we just need a new one - would a new one be more powerful?

confused

HoneyPablo Sat 10-Sep-11 08:01:38

How far away is the router? Our router works all over the house.
Maybe you could ask your broadband supplier for a new one, or can you move the router nearer to the sofa. You can get extension cables for the telephone socket and run them under carpets.

Grumpla Sat 10-Sep-11 08:08:30

We had this problem with the crappy Virgin router we had at last flat, bought a different one in the end, think it was a Belkin? Can't quite remember but it was about £25 and meant we could check our emails in the car park if we wanted to!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 10-Sep-11 09:36:34

This one is a Belkin, but as I say it is old.

It's also in the front room and the sofa I like sitting on is right out the back, at the end of the extension bit, so sadly extension cable isn't going to do it.

I did the briefest of googles and there seem to be booster things you can buy but it's all meaningless to me I'm afraid.

gingeroots Sat 10-Sep-11 18:59:52

Bump as I'm also interested in this - I think there was a thread before explaining a bit about this .
Can "inteference " from other people's routers using the same channel reduce the signal strength or does such inteference just have the effect of making you drop the connection altogether ?

How can you boost a signal ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now