Talk

Advanced search

phone down toilet (literally) - where for repairs?

(8 Posts)
Fiolondon Fri 09-Sep-11 12:49:48

Hi
I have an HTC desire. It fell out of my pocket and into our loo!
I got it out very quickly, got the battery out and dried it off fast. It then sat in a box of rice for 48 hours but I didn't think to dry out the headphone and usb sockets with cotton buds.

Although the water damage stickers have changed from white to red the phone is generally working well - but it thinks there is a headset plugged in so I can't make or receive calls.

I can't get it covered on warranty and our insurance excess makes a claim uneconomic. There are lots of firms on the net, but I got the impression I would send off the phone and get charged for nothing - they seem to say water damage is tricky.

Do I bother trying a repair? If so recommendations please!
Do I avoid throwing good money after bad and replace the phone (with gritted teeth)?

I have a monthly contract with Vodafone due to end Jan/feb time.
Also I don't use it that much for calls... more texts, email web etc.
Ta

niceguy2 Fri 09-Sep-11 12:53:45

Given how long it is before your upgrade, I'd say it's uneconomical to repair.

Have you tried to call Voda and see if they will let you upgrade earlier if you commit to another 2 years?

Fiolondon Fri 09-Sep-11 13:04:18

I should have said that I have a sim only deal. Does that make a difference?

ImpyCelyn Fri 09-Sep-11 14:03:06

Try putting it back in the rice. I was told to leave for a week and everything was working perfectly afterwards.

niceguy2 Fri 09-Sep-11 14:50:00

You can try the rice trick again I guess. You've nothing to lose.

How much are you paying for your SIM only deal and what are you getting?

Fiolondon Fri 09-Sep-11 19:06:42

I pay £15 with more texts, calls and data than I can use - sorry I can't remember the figures!

niceguy2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:20:23

OK, if I was in your situation I'd firstly try the rice trick again to see if you can sort the problem out.

If that doesn't work and assuming money isnt TOO tight then I'd be seriously tempted to buy yourself out of the contract (£60ish) and then get the newer model from another provider.

Something like this:

HTC Desire S on T-Mobile

This would give you a brand new phone, the latest model for an extra fiver per month (ie. £20). However, if you set reminders, are canny you can take advantage of their redemption offer and reclaim £135 by cashback making it effectively £14.80 a month. ie. same as now! The downside is you'd be tied to a 2 year contract and you'd have to cancel the 'free trial' insurance they bung in at the beginnning.

So to sum up, the real cost to you would be the £60 you have to pay to get out of your contract and you end up with a new phone for about the same cash!

Sure it's £60 you shouldn't have had to spend but then you did drop your phone down the loo!

Fiolondon Sun 11-Sep-11 13:07:40

Fab! (As fab as spending an extra £60 can be!).
I was quoted £49 for an unwarranted and possibly unsuccessful repair on Friday so that sounds like quite a good idea.
I'm off to investigate - thank you so much for your help!
Fiona

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now