Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE help me. Lost a days work on a text file!

(9 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Wed 07-Sep-11 17:04:06

I am working on a project where the client likes the work to be delivered in a text file....I've never used them before and so I have been working in a word dcument an then cutting and pasting text from the Word doc into the text file...stupidly I have not been sving a I go and just now my comp gave me the blue screen of death and ALL GONE!

A days worth of work was on the text file and its just gone. I am beyond upset. ANY way there is a recovery out there for the text? sad

niceguy2 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:30:45

Nope I'm sorry. If it's any consolation it's happened to me loads of times where I;ve lost work due to crashes.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 07-Sep-11 18:07:03

Shit. I can't belive it!

prism Wed 07-Sep-11 19:05:05

In the early days of computing, Jesus and the Devil were constantly arguing about who was better at writing computer code. God got sick of the bickering, so he set them a project to see which one of them would do it better, saying he would decide who was the winner at the end of the day.

Jesus made a prompt start and wrote very methodically, writing good, but not inspired code. The Devil lounged around for a while, then set to and started to write some very clever stuff, which to be honest was better, if harder to read, than Jesus's work.

God went by and had a look. The Devil was patently gloating, quite sure that he would win over Jesus's pedestrian style of code. God had to admit he probably would.

In the afternoon there as a huge lightning strike and all the computers crashed. The Devil lost all his work. When they handed in their efforts, Jesus won. The Devil was furious, remonstrating with God that he knew perfectly well that he was a better programmer, and he should have won.

God shrugged, and said, "Jesus saves."

It's no help now, but for the future:

1. Don't cut, just copy, so whatever you are putting in the text doc is in the word doc as well.
2. Configure Word to "save auto-recover info" at least every 10 minutes

Thumbwitch Fri 09-Sep-11 15:13:46

prism grin

Mumbling - I feel your pain - been there, done that, it sucks but you learn to do what CAUP suggested so it never happens again.

said Fri 09-Sep-11 15:15:18

did you finish the word document before cutting and pasting? Don't log off as the orginal may still be there if you've not saved it again?

AllThreeWays Fri 09-Sep-11 15:18:04

A long shot, but, find your .tmp folder, sort the files in the folder by date, right click on the most recent file, select rename, change the file type from .tmp to .txt or .doc try to open file.

NetworkGuy Fri 09-Sep-11 17:24:19

Sorry for you, know it is a pain. Saw lots of students lose months of work as they had no backups of 'master' copy of thesis etc... sometimes they had 100+ pages that had been printed with their handwritten corrections on... so at least they had something to type from and work was not completely lost.

I save copies with time stamp... eg doc1345 doc1430 doc1500 etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now