Talk

Advanced search

Mac - my numpty dh downloaded new Lion OS and clicked through without reading what he was doing. Where are our photos?!

(9 Posts)
Gincognito Sat 03-Sep-11 12:06:32

Pretty much what the title says really. He is awfully impatient. He downloaded the new OS and just clicked through the install options without actually reading them.

The photos are still there - I can search for those that have been named. I just have no idea where they actually are <sigh>. They are all locked, whatever that means. And quite a few of them are not named, which is a pickle because Macs don't seem to like wildcard searches. Any ideas?

BTW if one of your ideas is to no longer believe dh when he says he is going to get round to storing them online any day now and just do it myself, I’m waaaaaay ahead of you wink

Gincognito Sat 03-Sep-11 19:35:22

Bump

JoinTheDots Sat 03-Sep-11 19:47:38

If you search for one of the named ones in spotlight (magnifying glass top right), hover over it so it's highlighted and press cmd-i and it should pop up an info window that tells you where the file is stored, and therefore where they all are hopefully.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 03-Sep-11 19:59:22

When I upgraded to Lion all my photos were still in iPhoto. They should be in your home folder under photos, unless you've been storing them separately elsewhere.

Gincognito Sat 03-Sep-11 20:24:44

Ah but Gwen, did you install it with your eyes on the baby, jabbing away at the confirm button whilst muttering about how (for the amount of money it cost), the computer should be able to read your mind and know your answers to the questions? Because that is d(aft)h's preferred method. iPhoto has vanished...

Join thanks, I will give that a go in a sec.

redlac Sat 03-Sep-11 20:38:05

Check to see if has created an admin account and that's what it is automatically logging on as.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 03-Sep-11 21:32:33

Ah, fair point. I tend to install by furiously re-reading all the options whilst running various potential scenarios of disaster though my mind grin

Gincognito Sat 03-Sep-11 21:46:24

Right, it appears that there is a problem with iPhotos. The help window is suggesting I reinstall it but I am concerned that all the photos will vanish. What a faff.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 03-Sep-11 23:28:02

Installing iPhoto shouldn't harm the existing photo library. However, a back up to an external hard drive before you start wouldn't go amiss... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now