Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you buy an iPad with 3G as a gift/from the US?

(15 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Wed 31-Aug-11 22:11:53

I really, really want an iPad. I've researched the options, and definitely want//need one with 3G.

I have a friend who is currently living in the US, and I was thinking of asking him to buy one for me there; - assuming that it will be cheaper.

Can you do this? Will it be 'set' differently to work in the US as opposed to in the UK, for example?

Given that the 3G bit requires a contract, how can he buy it for me on that basis? Or do I take it, when I have it, into the 02 shop and set up the contract there?

TIA

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 01-Sep-11 08:52:34

Come on geeks! There must be someone who can help me in my hour of need!

niceguy2 Thu 01-Sep-11 09:43:00

Even us geeks need sleep you know!

Technically yes it will work. However you naturally will get a US plug (not a big deal you can buy a new one from ebay)

In addition you will need to remember depending on which state he is in, he may well have to pay sales tax since US usually have prices without VAT on.

Lastly how will he get it to you? If he is travelling fair enough but if he is posting it, you may be landed with VAT and import duty which may wipe out any savings you made.

Flowerista Thu 01-Sep-11 09:50:52

My husband just bought mine there, Got a thingy from vodaphone to put in the thingy to enable it. Use my I pod charger so no need for plug messing about. HTH apart from non Genius terminology.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 01-Sep-11 22:55:29

Thank you!

niceguy - he would be buying it in the US and bringing it back personally to the UK.

Flowerista - the thingy. Clearly a technical term? wink

What about the issue of 3G?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 01-Sep-11 23:43:05

I think flowerista addressed the 3G issue. I don't have 3G on mine because I don't want a contract, but my understanding is that you'll need a contract with SIM (the thingy) to activate the 3G (thingy). I have no idea who provides the best service, or if perhaps only one network is authorised by Apple.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 01-Sep-11 23:45:27

Um, just a thought, won't an American 3G ipad come with an American SIM? Can they be unlocked...?

<departs thread, having cast only confusion and despair>

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 01-Sep-11 23:49:18

Ah. Too much technical talk for me, OldLady!

<very confused>

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 02-Sep-11 00:00:05

Sorry, I'm rather thinking of it as a phone. You can get contract phones which come with SIM. (The SIM is the wee piece of plastic and gold that sat under the battery in my ancient PAYG phones; it contains the phone number and will store some of your contact numbers)

You can get PAYG phones with a SIM, linked to a particular network, but if you want the handset and not the network, you can change the SIM in a PAYG. But you have to be able to "unlock" the phone; for some reason, this service is often provided by corner stores and all-night newsagents.

I'm just thinking that an American iPad might come with an American SIM, locking you into a network which isn't actually available here.

But I may be talking shite.

niceguy2 Fri 02-Sep-11 08:42:41

If you buy an ipad from an Apple store it will not be sim locked. At least not the ones in the UK but your friend can confirm that before he buys it.

When you get it, pop into your nearest T-Mobile store and ask them for a free Microsim for iphone. Once you put £10 credit on the SIM, T-mobile should activate 12 months of Internet on it for free. Put this into your ipad and you should be ready to rock.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 02-Sep-11 08:44:14

Ah thank you - so this will be doable then?

niceguy2 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:28:38

In short....yes.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 02-Sep-11 12:21:55

Thank you!

grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 02-Sep-11 12:24:27

Oh, good, I was talking shite! grin

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 02-Sep-11 12:26:00

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now