Talk

Advanced search

Google Chrome has died and Internet Explorer is sloooooooow

(9 Posts)
Loonytoonie Tue 30-Aug-11 21:07:11

I've only ever really used google chrome on this laptop, but it's recently started freezing and now I can't even open the chrome window. So, using IE now and while typing here seems ok, my email account (gmail) is really really slow, and the keys are really sticky too, so losing a lot of letters when I try and type.

Have no idea what's what - am a self confessed technophobe. Help!

BadgersPaws Wed 31-Aug-11 09:24:18

Other than Internet Browsers how is the machine running?

Are your virus and malware scanners up to date and running?

As a first step I'd download and run this tool:
www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

This will check if there's anything bad lurking on your machine. Get that done and see what it reports....

Loonytoonie Thu 01-Sep-11 11:13:36

Thanks BadgersPaws. Will get this done today and let you know what happens.

THanks again.

Dorje Thu 01-Sep-11 11:15:33

Try Firefox - it's free and speedy

BadgersPaws Thu 01-Sep-11 11:22:49

"Try Firefox - it's free and speedy"

True... But the other browsers are running slow for a reason, they shouldn't be like that. So rather than avoiding the actual problem it really is best to find and fix it, it could be the tip of a rather nasty iceberg.

Loonytoonie Fri 02-Sep-11 09:56:11

Ok. Anti-Malware has found nothing, and my Norton is up to date.

Things are slowing down in general, applications slower to open, and I still can't open Google Chrome. Should I wip Google Chrome then re-install?

BadgersPaws Fri 02-Sep-11 10:19:38

If there are problems in general with the machine then trying to deal with one program, e.g. Chrome, isn't going to be a big help.

When the machine is running slow press CTRL-ALT-DEL and the bring up taask manage. If it's not already selected select the "Processes" tab.

What is the "CPU Usage" and "Commit Charge" given at the bottom of the window? The numbers will fluctuate but what sort of numbers are they?

Click on the CPU column header so that it sorts with the high values at the top (I think it will take two clicks). What is the few highest Image Names and CPU values? Again these numbers and names will change but is there anything that's consistently up there?

Loonytoonie Fri 02-Sep-11 20:47:27

Thanks for this Badger.
CPU Usage is fluctuating from anything between 3% with the ocassional jump to 20%. Can't find anywhere that states its Commit Charge. About 45% of memory is used up.

V frustrating!

BadgersPaws Sat 03-Sep-11 11:12:23

And those figures are for when the machine is running slow? Bumping around between 3% and 20% is really rather normal.

Run up IE or Chrome and what happens to the numbers then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now