Talk

Advanced search

can anyone be bothered to help me work out what to do re my (sort of a bit broken iPhone and contract?)

(2 Posts)
ErnesttheBavarian Tue 30-Aug-11 17:58:41

I love my iPhone but it costs $$$$ so I had decided to give notice (contract expires April next year) and get PAYG or some other tariff that's better value.

Unfortunately on/off button broken, otherwise works fine, but I can't switch it off, which is minor annoyance.

Went into Telekom shop (am in Germany), they told me I can get an upgrade (presumably iPhone4?) in October but this will be signing me up for another 2 years.

Dh took phone into apple shop. Told me out of guarantee period, but would replace the handset for $200.

So, do I give notice and put up with slightly defective iPhone, or pay $200 for new one and give notice, or pay $$$ and get new handset and renew contract for another 2 years?

Why is the tariff so bloody expensive. I've tried looking into it. Seems the (not v many at all) international calls/sms massively bump it up sad

niceguy2 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:04:01

I've no idea how mobile companies operate in Germany.

What I'd suggest is if you want a comparable phone but without the premium which Apple products incur then you may want to look at an Android phone such as the HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S2.

See if they will let you upgrade to that at a cheaper tariff? Also, bear in mind that the Iphone 4S/5/whatever is due out late Sept, early Oct so it might be worth you hanging on for a little while longer.

Even if you decide not to upgrade to the new model, chances are the iphone 4 will become cheaper and other Android competitors may offer discounts to woo customers. Either way you should win compared to upgrading now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now