Talk

Advanced search

Just set up new laptop for dd in prep. for Big School - any ideas for 'new stuff'?

(9 Posts)
Pan Tue 30-Aug-11 16:14:06

I haven't set up a new pc in years. We have mozilla, Office Home and Student, photoshop.

is there anything novel and interesting that is 'puter accessible and would appeal to an 11 y.o? Sites, downloads etc.
tia.

BadgersPaws Tue 30-Aug-11 16:17:16

It's not exciting but presuming this is a Windows machine then make sure that the anti-virus and anti-malware software are all up to date. If you've not got something with it then there are good free alternatives.

Pan Tue 30-Aug-11 16:23:58

we have thanks - unfortunately it came with Norton for a year.

(btw, am still reducing the CPU count at log on - re my whizzing hard disc? - will return when finished the work I am on)

Habanera Wed 31-Aug-11 17:13:05

May I ask what machine you bought her? I'm trying to figure out what to get for my dd just turned 11 and off to big school next week too. Though I'm leaning towards a desktop for durability and there is a place for it to sit.

She's always on mine and I need it for work.

My dd likes making Powerpoint animation thingies, on her latest animal craze usually, last was a birthday invitation, sounds like you have that already. there are a bunch of online homework sites she got at induction day-but maybe that doesn't tick her "appeal" box. I'll go look if you like. gridclub is good but I think you have to pay. SAMlearning they used in Y 6 and I noticed the secondary bumf had it listed too, she could see what her classmates had done and it brought out the competitive urge

Everything is online, She enjoys something called Bamzookies, they make animated robots. Her sister is a telly addict and watches cbbc iplayer on the PC, sometimes she watches with sis. Oh I remember now, Friv for school version (plain Friv has some rather adult games). Short for frivolous she told me, lots of fun games, I recommend that. If she is horsy, there is Bella sara, maybe a bit young for her but I like it, it's kind of soothing compared to most games. I think you have to register but it's free.

The Tate Movie project seems to be fun, it's finished for the moment but they should start a new one sooon, worth looking around and registering on the website. PublishingHouseMe is a good place to display stories or artwork.

Is that what you meant for things to do with the PC? We've banned Facebook etc but I let her have a google email as long as I have access to it and she understands the security issues ("duh, mum. Do you think I am stupid?").

Habanera Wed 31-Aug-11 17:15:02

ooh this is excellent too myths.e2bn.org/ myths and legends

Pan Wed 31-Aug-11 17:21:01

Haberna - thanks for all of those! I will certainly be looking at them.

It is a Packard Bell Easynote TS. I have looked at all of the reviews online and none of them have a bad word to say about it, which is quite unusual!
dd's is in garnet red - very attractive.

and thanks again for the suggestions.

Pan Wed 31-Aug-11 17:23:10

oh and fb isn't even being considered!

Habanera Wed 31-Aug-11 17:40:40

Sounds lovely, mine is red too. Shall look at that one.

most of these things that had to be registered, was done using my email, but lately I've started letting her deal with her own stuff more. For example some of the RSVPs to the birthday were to/from her friends emails as they don't meet over the summer, she just forwarded them so I know how many are coming. Most of her emails consist of long strings of emoticons. we moved to a new town and she's still in touch with some old pals by email. She also emailed me from summer camp which was nice.

I guess it depends on the kid's natures and their interests. They soon find things or get ideas from friends.

I sort of started looking at a lego designing thing but that hasn't taken off with my girls yet.

Pan Wed 31-Aug-11 18:24:24

and if your dd likes to do 'creative stuff', then the TS comes with Adobe photoshop preloaded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now