Talk

Advanced search

Is my router or my broadband the problem?

(4 Posts)
BingBongSong Mon 29-Aug-11 14:56:18

I'm on Orange and the broadband (Internet) keeps cutting out. Basically need to unplug and replug the router, then only get a connection to internet for a few minutes if I'm lucky. The latest is that I can connect to some sites (like Mumsnet grin), but not others.

The router is only a few months old, same problem with the old one. Orange customer services were useless when I phoned, because I could access one site (Google) but nothing else, they basically told me it was fixed and couldn't get off the phone fast enough hmm...

cyb Mon 29-Aug-11 15:06:52

When our router goes tits up there is a router status link (I think my ISP gave me the address) so I can reconnect online rather than unplugging

niceguy2 Mon 29-Aug-11 15:35:14

Are you using it via Wireless or using a cable? If wireless, can you try using the Internet using a cable (and disable wifi). See if your connection holds.

If it still drops then it sounds like it could be a line issue. Ensure you have ADSL Microfilters on every phone point.

As Orange tech support to do a circuit test. Ask them to talk you through getting into the router and see what the sync speed is.

If the Internet is stable when using a cable (and not wireless) then it could be too much interference. Again, ask Orange tech support to help you change the default Wifi channel.

BingBongSong Mon 29-Aug-11 22:59:01

Thanks for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now